Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

68 Robert,

Thank you for your positive comments earlier today. I was so excited by what I heard today I forgot to answer you.... Tom D

theaudiotweak

Thank You for sharing your DIY tips with the Panel. I am certain that tips help Tom in his endeavors.

Happy Listening!

vair68robert

Always good to see you here. I hope that your 2022 is off to a great start.

We have quite a DIY community here. Something for every Audiophile.

Happy Listening!

tomthiel

What can I say? Thank You,  for initial reports on the new-and-improved CS 2.4 by re-positioning the XO panel. This is the Model closest  to my Audiophile heart.

Keep up the excellent work!

Happy Listening!

JAFant - what I meant to say is that the stock CS2.4 has its crossovers positioned quite optimally - more so than most Thiel models. Here's some background.

Although we were aware of sonic degradation when the free-form / bird's nest development crossover was compacted onto a board and mounted in the cabinet, Jim's approach was to cause the least damage while incurring the least expense.  In many models there is very little room between all those shelf braces, and the XOs got even more compact(ed).

By the time of the CS2.4 development in 2002, the cabinets had much less bracing. Not being there, I could only speculate about rationales, which I won't. But there is plenty of room in there to mount two separate XOs away from each other and from the drivers. I believe that geometry aids the 2.4's clarity and openness.

To your previous question about Renaissance offerings. What has developed is going way back to the 1976 model 02 - bookshelf / stand-mount monitor, mainly for pragmatics. They're cheap, simple and easy to ship. Mine have morphed from second order to first order / coherent source topology, being used as workhorses to compare passive parts, xo layouts, drivers and new technologies. Of special note is Doug Pauley's twin patented technologies that tame wave-launch turbulence. Progress is being made.

At some time there will be a stand-alone short run of perhaps 50 pair of this re-imagined monitor. No promises or projections as to when.