Atma-Sphere vs. Supratek

I placed an order last year for a Supratek Cortese LCR preamp; it will still be a few months until it will arrive at my home in Silicon Valley. Meanwhile I keep reading good things about the Atma-Sphere MP-1 and Mp-3 instruments. Can anyone voice an opinion about those two brands, both hand-made tube machines in a similar price range? I listen to all kinds of music, including opera, mostly on vinyl [Basic 2200 Signature with Vector 4 arm and Benz Micro LP-S cartridge, Sunvalley phono stage with EMIA SUT, MSB Platinum Signature CD transport and DAC, LinkwitzLab NCore6 active crossover/amplifier, and Linkwitz LX521.4 open-baffle speakers (best speakers I have ever heard)]. For preamp I am currently using Ed Shilling’s The Truth. For me a natural-sounding soprano voice is the pinnacle of well reproduced music.

128x128reimarc

+1 @lalitk and @david_ten you're talking about all kinds of equipment you've never heard. Even something good may not be to your tastes. That being said buying used at least can mitigate any losses you may incur. Good luck on your search!

@tomic601 I never knew you were Jim I've been calling you Tom all these years for obvious reasons. :)

Yes - the Futterman OTL design of Atma-sphere amps makes all the difference in the sound quality.

Read the background / history in the web site and in the reviews:

http://www.atma-sphere.com/en/index.html

In addition, you have the history, qualiy and reputation of years of experience of Atma-sphere, which is well known and reguarded by everyone.

These things make the decision very easy - actually… “a no brainer,” as the say!

I am a former Supratek Cortese owner, purchased in 2007. It had point to point wiring (i.e. the "rat’s nest"), which was touted as a sonic advantage. It had a lot of inputs and outputs, so there were wires everywhere. The phono stage was very nice, and I bet the LCR version is even better. I enjoyed the sound in my system when I had it. I had no repair issues in the 5 years that I owned it. I regretted selling my Cortese. I sold it because the power supply got too warm and would heat up my small room more than I liked. It was like having a small class A amp in the room. I could never connect with the music with the next preamp that I owned, so I contacted Mick about another Cortese, but by then he was on a break from making new units. I ended up buying a used Syrah which was not nearly as good as the Cortese.

OP, like you, I now have The Truth preamp, so I am curious to see which direction you end up going. I am very happy with the sound of my system with The Truth in it, but I would love to read your comparisons with whatever you end up getting, or if you stay put with The Truth. Both Supratek and Atma-Sphere offer superb built-in phono stages, and if I were looking to reduce my box count, those two brands would be at or near the top of my list.