Best Bang for the Buck Upgrade

So I have an unexpected bonus coming my way and may want to dedicate a portion of it to a system upgrade. Let's say 5-7k. Current system is Pioneer S-1ex speakers, Cambridge CXC transport, Musical Fidelity A1008 integrated, Burson Composer 3xp dac. Cables are mid grade nothing fancy but better than stock. Not really interested in streaming at the moment.

So for a descent chunk of change what should I be looking at? If I sold the speakers I could probably go up to 10k for another pair (used always) but I really don't think I have come close yet to maxing out the potential of these Pioneers (tad). 

mofojo

@hilde45 beat me to it. It really depends on what sonic improvements you’re looking for. I think you’ve got some really good speakers, and the fact that you seem to connect well with them, well, that speaks volumes to me because that ain’t always the case. Not familiar with your amp, but if I’m you and with your budget, I’d get a Denafrips Pontus ll DAC and and Innuos Zen Mk3 streamer/server and a Qobuz subscription. Load all your CDs into the Zen and enjoy not only all your music from your chair but get exposure to worlds of music you’d never have otherwise heard. Seriously, being able to access an unlimited library of music, much of it in hi res, has brought me more enjoyment than any equipment upgrade I’ve ever made. My math says doing this will still leave you with around $5k left over, and with that I’d add a couple good subs, which will take you to a MUCH higher level not only in bass but in imaging and significant expansion of soundstage.  Just my $0.02 FWIW.

Would you consider spending $500 on a Black Ice Audio

Foz SS-X Sound Stage Expander?

Nice system!  Assuming your room is not an acoustic disaster in need of major treatments, I would look at replacing your transport/DAC with something like the Luxman D-03x CD player.  You also might consider a power conditioner.

Really nice speakers and amp. Maybe invest in a Umik 1 and download REW, do some measurements and see if you could improve your room with treatments or  DSP. If you want to try streaming a network player.

as usual i support the wisdom of @soix asking the key question... what are the specific improvements sought?

hard to travel with purpose without specifying the destination...