Thorens, TD-125 MKII

A friend is buying this old turntable in good condition.  He wants to know how this table would compare to a $1000 turntable produced today.  Any weak spots?  What cartridge under $700 would be best?  Pro? Cons?
normantaylor

goofyfoot, my TD 124 is quiet and sounds superb playing high quality vinyl, but when I bought it I didn’t care how it performed. It looked like a fine example of an icon I've wanted. I’m 85, so I’d guess within the next 20 years or so it’ll be auctioned off as part of my estate.

goofyfoot, not coasting, still trying to decide what I want to be when i grow up.

The evolution of the Thorens was to eventually compete with the Linn Sondek 

The Linn was a ripoff of the Ariston RD11, which in turn was a ripoff of the Thorens TD150, which predated the Linn by a considerable margin.

The Thorens TD-125 had been in production for several years before the Sondek hit the market. I bought a Mk.2 version in '73, don't know how it differed from the original ("Mk.1"), but it never worked right. I replaced it with a TD-150, basically a TD-125 without the electronics. There was later a TD-126, a real gaudy-looking table. The Sondek was (and is) a model of outward simplicity, inner attention to detail.