CHANGING FROM AUDIO RESEARCH TO AUDIO NOTE SYSTEM 

Dear All,

I got hooked by the SET sound and am considering selling my Audio Research based system (REF 5 SE preamp and REF150 power) and Wilson SOPHIA 3 speakers. In exchange I would buy a level 3/4 system. M3 phono balanced input pre, P3 Tonnmeister power and AN E AN-E-SPe HE 98db or  AN-E/SPx ALNICO 95 dB speakers. 

However, considering the good quality I already have, I fear being a little downgraded. Wonder what is your opinion. 

My room allows corner placement, and has 30 m2 with 2,4 m height ceiling. 

Best regards,

128x128pfmaudio

Just my opinion I've heard 096's, in a Shindo system, not in my own room. They sounded great but I prefer my AN-J's a real sleeper in the AN lineup.

@OP,  I like the rec by Mr. Bourne above.  How possible is it for you to keep two systems or have options open so you can go back and forth?  That may be something you aren't interested though.  

After you audition the Audio Note system IN YOUR ROOM, have your dealer replace your Wilson speakers with the newest Magnepan speakers. Listen again to BOTH sets of HW.

Yes, you may want more booms, so get a sub if you think you need it (older Decca orchestra vinyl could us it).

Listen for a few days with each system.  Bet you keep the Audio Research and buy the Maggies if your room is right and the dealer sets them up correctly.  If he/she doesn't move them until you don't hear speakers, but only music.

THEN you will get it.

Cheers, and happy listening with whatever you end up with.

@richopp if the OP remains committed to corner placement, there is zero chance Maggies ever darken his door. Secondly, its a bit of a strecth dont you think for you to recommend speakers like Maggies when the OP is considering 8wpc SET amplification?

In my opinion : I do like the cd-players,dac and poweramp of Audio Note. The préamp AR  is very good ! The poweramps less. I do prefer AN :sound is very good ! One of my favorites !