AKM makes the best DACs

OK, before you flame a reply to my heading please read this section.

It is a terrible idea to judge a DAC based on the chip.  I don't think consumer's should ever do that. I think there is a lot that goes into a good external DAC unit and the converter chip is just one of many factors that go into the final sound.

Having said that, it turns out I tend to like the sound of DACs with AKM chips over most others.  A long time ago I would have said the same about Burr Brown.

For converters which use an all in one chip what is the brand you find yourfself more likely to like the sound of vs. not?

erik_squires

@Audioman 58. There are many great-ladder dac chips -R2R out there to even consider any AKM chips not 1 upper dac maker use them ,buy a Topping if that’s your thing.

I suppose Esoteric (pre Mastersound Discrete Dac) doesn't count as an "upper dac maker"...

My current DAC uses an older AKM chip, it's pretty good for an older device.
I am waiting to be able to purchase a newer DAC from an Australian supplier based upon the AK4499EQ when it becomes available again. I am confident though, that AKM as per usual have been revising the chipset, and probably have a new one soon to be released. Perhaps I will hold off a few months??!

Important Notice < [link to AKM website]

We are preparing to resume the shipment of samples in 2022.
Sample shipments have previously been impacted by the fire that occurred in October 2020 at our semiconductor plant in Miyazaki, Japan.
Details will be announced in January of 2022.

I upgraded to a Topping D70s from an airist audio r2r. And I was simply astonished at the improvement in tonality, stage, depth, separation, clarity, air (all the typical buzzwords, etc). Not really comparable, very different topology associated with the D70s, but it still sounds “r2r” in many ways (Not just my opinion). This one uses two AKMs -one per channel- not a single chip, so maybe not in the category you wanted here. But -as everyone here probably agrees - so much of the cool stuff is in the output stage in combination with the chip output. The reason I got it was for its excellent reviews, good price, and great digital input variety (was looking for I2S to be included). At this point, I can’t imagine upgrading with very much improvement until getting into a Denafrips Pontus II or something else in that offering (or higher).

When I meant to talk about single chip DAC's I meant units using mass produced IC's which are sold to multiple vendors, so even if a unit uses 2 x stereo DAC chips it still qualifies.

Discrete R2R, or a ring DAC really don't except as comparison points.