Neil Young - Barn Documentary

Great behind the scenes look at Mr Young and band at work...

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - A Band A Brotherhood A Barn (Official Documentary)

bigquery

I have an affinity for Mr. Young. He isn't my favorite of favorites but he's right up there. Your post inspired me to put this album on. I've listened to it while working but that on a crappy blu tooth speaker. Tell me, when you listen to it, especially the first track, do you find the images reversed? In the video the accordion player is standing to the right but the album he is left stage. Bass player switches sides.

I was thinking about him recently when hearing of the passing of another music great; as they all will eventually. Where will he rank as far as influence throughout the music industry? This is a guy who lives music. I mean I think he wakes up with it foremost in his brain. When you watch him perform it courses through him. He's hugely prolific and I believe one of the best singer-songwriters alive. He doesn't really get spoken of when the topic of guitar players comes up, but I think he's truly top 10. According to many he inspired the grunge movement and the grandad of thrash metal. 

I think when the day comes it will be a sad one for many.

Thanks for the thoughtful post.  The points you raise may partially explain the rush to find music from the 70s/80s/90s that I may have missed.  I'm a fan of BARN and count it as one of my best recent adds to my collection along with the recently released recording of Mr Young's Carnegie Hall concert.

@dadork 

"He doesn't really get spoken of when the topic of guitar players comes up, but I think he's truly top 10". 

I like Neil's playing but "top ten"?  Really? Compared to singer-songwriters like Richard Thompson or Bruce Cockburn (not to mention Johan Mayer), Neil's guitar playing is pretty primitive. But perhaps actual playing skill is not the standard you're using... care to explain?