your first system-

I put together my first system in 1977- turntable, receiver, speakers and a cassette deck- $600. An on-line inflation calculator tells me that is $2760 in 2022 dollars. I am sure a current $1500 streaming based system can be assembled that would demolish my 1977 system. That's what I call real progress!

128x128zavato

In 1979, I became a proud owner of a Bryston 4B, paired up with the Apt Holman preamp, Rega Planar 3 turntable with an Ultracraft AC-30 tonearm. The cartridge was a Supex SDX-1000 with a Jeremiah Braithwaite ST-17 Phono Amp. All this going to a pair of Shurlyn 820 speakers.

I had a pair of Energy 22 Reference monitor speakers on loan until the Shurlyns had some modifications to them for better sound.  I also had a Connoisseur BD2 turntable until I received the Rega. I still have the Connoisseur today.

Unfortunately my system and about 130 vinyl albums were stolen in 1981... 

I can trace every piece of gear I own to my first cheap stereo system, I never started with a clean sheet, I always upgraded one thing at a time. I learned a lot doing that way over the decades. 

russ69, that is absolutely brilliant. It's like the guy who owns a vintage 1954 Porsche Speedster ... who has replaced the seats, the engine, the chassis .... Seriously, talk about lineage!

My memory from the early 1970's is a little hazy, but I believe at one time my system consisted of a Sansui AU 9500 integrated, Thorens TD160 with Grace 707 and Supex SD900 Super. Speakers were a woodworking project with my father. JBL 15" woofer with 15" passive radiator, along with a JBL horn midrange and tweeter. 

My room was 10' x 10'.

who has replaced the seats, the engine, the chassis ....

I have an old hammer that is so old it has had 3 new handles and two new heads!