your first system-

I put together my first system in 1977- turntable, receiver, speakers and a cassette deck- $600. An on-line inflation calculator tells me that is $2760 in 2022 dollars. I am sure a current $1500 streaming based system can be assembled that would demolish my 1977 system. That's what I call real progress!

128x128zavato

After 6yrs in depth research, I’m almost done putting my first bucket list high end audio system together. Constellation Inspiration Pre and Stereo Amp, Chord MScalar, Denafrips Terminator, Innuos Zenith, VPI Avenger, Lyra Etna, VDH Grail SB, SR grounding block, EquiTech 1.5, TimberNation and HRS racks, Kimber Palladium PCs, Tara Labs speaker cable. Only have Magico A5 and remaining cables to purchase to get things running. Also started to put my second flea watt system together with my purchase of Coincident Frankenstein 300B amps. Buying used whenever I can to save $.

Fun topic! 1977 for me as well. Amazingly, my parents surprised me with it, probably for my birthday. (I wonder if they later regretted it!) It was a Harmon Kardon 330c receiver, a Garrard 55b turntable ... and Acoustic Research speakers, though I can't remember the model. Mostly I remember the green lights on the receiver. I bought Get Yer Ya-Yas Out and Zep2, added some Koss headphones, and never looked back....

@kennyc 

Clearly you have put a lot of research into that system… it should be a very detailed and revealing system. 

1969 (Just in time for Led Zeppelin!):

Kenwood KR-77 low-power (18 wpc) SS receiver

Allied Radio Horn speakers (12 inch woofer) similar to my current Forte 4s

Gerrard SL-95B TT with Pickering cartridge (I think)

Red and white RCA interconnects with zip cord speaker wire

Pure heaven when you're 16 years old!

Sherwood s7910, large Advents, BIC 960, Teac 250. Moody Blues, Led Zeppelin and Cat Stevens.