Making speakers sound tonally similar with an equalizer

Can two different speakers be made to sound similar by adjusting their frequency response to mirror each other with an equalizer? I'm sure it's not as simple as that but would it be possible. 

Can one, for example, reproduce a harbeth like sound by doing that?

Just curious.

jaferd

While I say EQ's are a bad way to try to make one speaker sound like another, I've also seen Stereophile adopt B&W speakers as their reference, and Golden Ear matched it and got rave reviews... so... maybe there's something to it.

I’ve owned many speakers and they all sound different. I would say very difficult or impossible. Maybe if the speakers are in the same line- cabinet materials, driver materials, crossover components, etc. otherwise too many variables. I suppose frequency is frequency so there is an argument for it, but I say no way.

You might have better luck with a Realiser A16 and headphones trying to replicate certain speakers.

IMO no you can bandaid but can’t replicate something better. I had the Lyngdorf 2170 and it made Tekton Double Impacts sound amazing when room correction engaged. The difference with some other speakers was actually worse than natural. So dunno. My guess is efficient speakers are much easier to voice with EQ or room correction. 

I should have said it would be hard to replicate but with a great room correction software you can improve like a MF. Depending on the speaker. EQ however ehhh I tried that a little and your always dicking with it.