How important Is shielding with RCA wires? (Ethan Winer, new video)

Mr. Winer is out with a new video. FYI.

128x128hilde45

The main thing I learned in this thread is that @oldhvymec certainly doesn't need to drink! He enjoys life while intoxicated on life ;-)

Thanks, I'll take that as a true complement. Being awfully Irish can be rough on just about everything. I'll give the ol liver a break. :-)

Others claim I'm ticking for a reason. They think it's a count down, I assure them it's a homemade analog pacemaker. External PS with silver wire that is gold plated in PTFE and silicone. I just turned it up after a battery swap.

Huston we have lift off, the clock is running. :-)

Regards

@oldhvymec ..."Houston we have lift off, the clock is running. :-)"

You're having fun, and that's what matters most!  ☑ :) 

There are 4 kinds of science at least: anti-science, Democrat science, Republican science, and Real Science. I am an engineer and I know from experience I can use Real Science to design products the others are useless in product design. However, this is America and you are free to follow whatever science you choose to follow.

Shielding is a highly misunderstood subject. Typical conductive film shielding is good for radio frequencies only. Adding woven conductive shielding over the top of film shielding will extend the useful frequency range downward. There is one exception to this, but you are not likely to encounter it. If you check the cabling catalogs you will find its effective range is above 60Hz, way above 60Hz. Making use of the "Ma Bell" twisted pair patent will help isolate the signal on a pair of conductors.

Keeping RF out of your equipment will reduce the "noise", but it is difficult to quantize. With today's equipment you can detect the RF in a system and display it. In short you can measure how good of an antenna your system is. Can you hear it? Sometimes. If you can measure the noise floor, you can detect the difference. Can you hear the difference in the noise floor? Not everyone will hear the difference and the noise floor of the recording maybe the limiting factor. Proper equipment design will limit this problem but not eliminate it.

60Hz hum, I would look for a grounding problem first. The 60Hz range is near field interference, magnetic field. Common sense will limit the EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) noise issue. Can you hear EMI noise? Yes, if it is loud enough. It sticks out like a sore thumb if you can do an A/B system test. There is plenty of research to support this. There is also plenty of research which indicates you may want to limit your exposure to EMI. There is a push in Europe to place limits on EMI exposure for humans. There is plenty of research showing you can use it to control brain function. Brain washing. haha

If you get the chance to hear a system with full range shielding covering the DC up frequency range you will either hate it or love it. It seems some brains cannot process the information with pleasure in full range shielded system. I discovered this from experience and I don't know why it occurs. For this effect to be maximized, the equipment design must be for full range shielding. I know of at least one reviewer of full range shielded cable where the reviewer states he misses the noise in his system. hmmm To each his own! Celebrate it, don't bother arguing.

This is a link to some information on shielding in the Audio Union collection. Do you want your equipment to withstand the electrical and magnetic effects of a nuclear explosion, I can do that do for a small fee. Haha, not that it would do you any good unless you are Doctor Strangelove.