Big Below 15k used that can play loud as heck

I moved into a way larger room, roughly 20x24 and the 802D’s just ain’t cutting the mustard. Looking for good options that can pound out bass in a large room with 500-1000 high end watts (pass or levinson etc)

Currently running 2 JL Fathom F113’s so it’s not low bass, it’s a speaker that can pump concert level music playing rap, hip hop, reggae, rock and classical/audiophile stuff  etc. but I need my rig to blast rap and hiphop impressively more than anything. 

128x128systembuilder

I have a pair of tekton moab and svs sb16ultra sub driven by mcintosh mc462. When I play that kind of music with no eq  there is so much bass I worry about damaging my house.

You guys keep talkin’ about horns. @systembuilder I think your dB readings are off. You mean 100 dB or above.

That is the way to go for sure. The car that goes by and shakes your house is not what you want. I have had subs for 20 years. My son and I used to love it when we could shake the walls with Welcome to the Machine. He came home one time and said I have to play loud rap to get any bass. I said no, listen. I had put some improvements in place since last time he was there. Better streaming but the springs under the subs and speakers cleaned up a lot of problems. Now you can feel the wave of music go by me. I can walk the entire room and the sound is nearly the same. AND the rest of the house doesn’t shake anymore. Talk about standing waves! I was going to buy some more bass traps but the springs fixed a lot of the problems.

Anyway, you can spend SO much but you have the subs. Set them at 80-100 HZ crossover point. Klipsch Cornwall, LaScala, Klipschorn, will all play about greater than 115 dB with a not very big amp. I would not put a tube setup in your case. I use a pass XA25 and it will play louder than most want even with a passive preamp. I don’t think it will do 120 dB but I don’t care. If you like to tinker around, buy some used Klipsch and put some nicer parts in the crossover and you will really have something. Even new Klipschorns are in your budget! The subs make the Klipsch sound better. Less load on your main amp. I would not go out any buy a mega amp. A Pass X150.8 would not even sweat. It was the B&W that were robbing your power. I do have a 500W at 4 ohm amp on the subs. Obviously there are other choices besides Klipsch but they are readily available and will take the beating. Volti Rival and the Legacy would be good choices as well(high quality parts and sound) The big Dunlavy are great but are getting old. I don’t know about parts. Have fun! I am in Midwest if you are nearby. I have all the Kanye, Dr. Dre, Kendrick, Drake, Tyler the Creator you could ask for.  Zhu can put those people to shame if he puts his mind to it.

+1 @missioncoonery 

If looking for high SPL levels at the cost to High Fidelity,  *cheaply* constructed , crude midrange,  PA speakers you are spot on .

I would suggest experimenting with your listening position. No matter if the system is $10,000 or $500,000, I prefer to be closer to the speakers. I'm not saying to hurt hearing or blast them in your ears but once I get more than 15 feet away, unless the room is very well treated, and the whole system is very capable, I prefer the closer position- 10-15 feet or so away most of the time. There is so much that can go on with sound over distance, so just my advice to experiment with this aspect too.  

Oldhvymec,

I don’t think there is 1 group you left out to offend.

Happy New Year to you too. :-)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well some call it offensive, WE call it getting along. One of the cops was my nephew. Besides all the cops in this town smoke pot IF they are gonna get loaded. The AA meeting became a little to saturated with local PD, They decided to switch gears. The old cop pubs are NO MORE in this town.. We don’t have coffee shops (LAUGH) but we still have bars (NOT LAUGHING).

I watched the drunk neighbor back up and PUSH his bass boat right off the trailer and on to side walk. He didn’t catch any fish, BUT he did manage to get a heck of drunk going on. This was SO wrong in so many ways. Drunk pilot, bass fishing, drunk driving, bringing his boat and 2 guest home. THEN he wrecks his own boat and trailer and pickup.

He didn’t hurt a soul, he just did 15-20K in damage and his insurance will pay for it..
That’s ME and YOU. BTW We get to pay for guys like that, to drive PERIOD. I’m surprised he didn’t go flying and hit all the major travel experiences. Air, Land and Water. He didn’t use the train but then he wouldn’t get to operate the train drunk too. What a pity.

There, NOW I’ve offended everyone. MAD can get Happy. I don’t care if you are smashed and drive. You better not wreck and cause damage or harm to others. That’s my moto. I’ll turn you over to the family if I see a idiot. The cops like it better in the long run.. They’re better at car chases and fun stuff like that.. Taking videos for "Cops" to air..

How am I doing guy/gals/???

It’s time to feed the chickens in 2022, WOW. Let me crow!!! I made another one.
I made one last resolution at midnight, I hung up my miniskirt, stilettos, wig, and corset, I dropped the teeth in the old glass and hung up my whip.. I’ve done my last wuss, no more latex or fake eye lashes.. I’M RETIRED.. It doesn’t mean I won’t do a special request.. :-)

Now you know WHY the call me "The Organic Fanatic Mechanic"

Happy New Year

Note to the OP: Get open back head phones TOO, and turn it all UP, the HP at 120-130db and the room speakers at about 140-150 or so. Tape the windows and wear goggles in case your eyes pop out, SO MESSY.. Maybe a bung plug just in case you crap yourself.. Depends is probably better overall.