Grounding cable gauge size

For those of you using external grounding source devices, units such as Entreq, Nordost, Synergistic, etc. What size wire gauge seems to work the best?

ozzy

128x128ozzy

Thanks for commenting. I was beginning to think that I was the only one using this type of grounding.

BTW, the silver 3 foot 16 ga .999 wire cost me $21 including shipping. Compared to the $1600 for the Entreq Atlantis.

ozzy

I use a Nordost QB4 with both QV2 and QK1 plugged into the two outside receptacles. I use the QB4 only for whichever power amp I’m using, only one plugged in at a time. When I first picked up the QB4 I did not use the ground post at first but later made up my own cable using what an Electrician would use, No. 10 insulated ground cable I picked up at the HomeDepot. On the QB4 side I picked up an AudioQuest gold plated speaker spade and on the other end of the ground wire connects outside to an 8’ buried ground rod. I’m not saying the difference is drastic but it is there being with using the ground the noise floor is lower and especially on my Pass amp it really opens up and with a sense of you’re more there and not listening to a HiFi. I needed a 20’ of cable which one from Nordost would be probably more than I’d want to spend. Very happy with the cable I built for less than $50, plus the grounding rod and clamp.

All my other components go through a PS Audio P10 on its own dedicated circuit. The Nordost is on its own circuit which I only use for my power amp, either a Pass or a Cary.

afg101, Thank you for that information.

I have been experimenting now quite a bit with this grounding method. It is better to separate digital from analog into 2 different grounding boxes. Luckily, I built several DIY boxes that IMHO are better than the Entreq,

What I am hearing is a deeper soundstage. Music that I am way too familiar with such as example: CCR "Green River" perhaps not the best recording but one of my favorite tunes, I can clearly hear brother Tom strumming along in the top left of center quadrant. Previously it was buried in the mix. Also listening to Linda sing "Blue Bayou" is really captivating.

ozzy

There doesn’t seem to be much interest in this thread. Too bad though because it really is the great unknown as to the level of improvement in sound quality it can provide. I mean what I am hearing is a deeper, wider, clearer- soundstage. All positives, no downside.

It’s sort of like star grounding the signal cabling but with a base sink that dissipates any noise (present or unheard buried deep) that may be present in the sound quality.

ozzy

Too bad though because it really is the great unknown as to the level of improvement in sound quality it can provide.

Grounding is really important so naturally it can affect sound quality quite a lot. But I was not kidding that if your equipment employs a proper grounding scheme, an external 'grounding box' will not offer any benefit whatsoever.