Soldering Help

Hello, 

I am going to try soldering a connection in my preamp.  I don't have any equipment to do this.  I am looking for advice on materials.

I did read that I want to avoid solder with lead in it.

What soldering tool, solder, etc would people recommend? 

Thank you!

desferous

It would be good to practice soldering skills on trashed circuit boards, you'll find out how easy to lift solder pads!

Amazon has some practice solder kits. I did some practice on that before I put in new drivers and reattached wires on the crossover of my speakers. 

I learned to solder by building Dynakits. My first one was constructed with a Radio Shack 25w pencil iron, a Swiss Army knife and a pair of needle nose pliers. When done, it worked!  Today you can build an Akitika GT-102 and have a nice medium powered Class AB SS amp to use when you finish. 

@crustycoot I was just thinking about a novice building a Dynaco or Heathkit kit back when, with many points to solder instead of one. The instructions must have included instruction on soldering, like the need to practice first? A nice skill to have, but the early attempts must have been intimidating. The only things I have ever soldered were plumbing connections and the occasional minor repair.