Soldering Help

Hello, 

I am going to try soldering a connection in my preamp.  I don't have any equipment to do this.  I am looking for advice on materials.

I did read that I want to avoid solder with lead in it.

What soldering tool, solder, etc would people recommend? 

Thank you!

desferous

Amazon has some practice solder kits. I did some practice on that before I put in new drivers and reattached wires on the crossover of my speakers. 

I learned to solder by building Dynakits. My first one was constructed with a Radio Shack 25w pencil iron, a Swiss Army knife and a pair of needle nose pliers. When done, it worked!  Today you can build an Akitika GT-102 and have a nice medium powered Class AB SS amp to use when you finish. 

@crustycoot I was just thinking about a novice building a Dynaco or Heathkit kit back when, with many points to solder instead of one. The instructions must have included instruction on soldering, like the need to practice first? A nice skill to have, but the early attempts must have been intimidating. The only things I have ever soldered were plumbing connections and the occasional minor repair.

Soldering pipe fittings is a very different technique from electronic circuitry. 
the main difference being the heat tolerance of copper pipe vs. the lack of same for electronic parts. I have used 33W and 40W pencil irons with narrow tips, and small diameter silver content solder.