Line Stage Preamps that blew you away $2500 Edition

Passive, tubes, solid state, jewel encrusted moon rocks, whatever. 

tell us what line stages blew you Away in the $2500 ish price catagory.

gochurchgo

@gochurchgo

I own both the latest Sachs model as well as the Supratek and use them both in different systems. If I had to choose just one based on sound and flexibility it would be the Supratek. Have also owned and sold the BHK preamp and prefer both the Sachs and the Supratek to the BHK. While the BHK is certainly the most "automated" of the three it doesn't always play nice with SE amps and to my ears noisier than the other two plus being extremely picky about tubes.

@gochurchgo 

I got my hours wrong, the DS2 has only 15 to 20 hours on it. Don't know where the 50 came from, although Don told me it would take that long to break in. 

It started out with a bit too much treble, but that went away pretty fast; and it is more detailed compared to the CJ 17LS2. Also, the DS2  soundstage is a bit taller and deeper. 

My goal was to try 6SN7 tubes in a preamp, which are supposed to sound different than the 6992 tubes in the CJ. So far I am not able to comment on that. Again, early times with the DS2.

By the way, the comments about Don Sachs being good to work with are true. He is knowledgeable and will take the time to share and does not sugar coat things. 

Thanks for listening,

Dsper

For an excellent holographic, low noise 6SN7 preamp look at used Cary SLP 98.

tones and timbre are spooky real.

bulletproof design, excellent customer service department.  

The Ear 834p is hard to beat at half that price....heck even my pro-ject tube box ds2 @ a grand is pretty sweet. If I was to spend that much, which I wouldn’t, it would be the Tavish Design Adagio @ $2200.