FM Tuners

I would like to add a tuner to my system.

I am only beginning to research this, so anyone with experience that could help narrow my focus would be appreciated. I'm not looking for vintage receivers with built-in amps. I'd like a tuner to run into a Van Alstine SET 120, which is a control amp with a passive pre-amp section.

A tuner with a built-in pre-amp is not necessary, but I'm wondering if that might just be the ticket.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

128x128imaninatural

Yes, for sure, That was my question regarding the old Kenwood, Sansui, Luxman and Pioneer equipment. I didn't know if they actually made just tuners. My experience with those brands is receivers.

I have several vintage tuners, including a McIntosh MR77. In present use is a 1978 Mitsubishi DA-F10. That and its DA-F20 sibling are in the top category of Jap 70's FM tuners! I bought mine on eBay for $200. All tuners can produce 1 - 2 volts so they can drive a power amp directly. No need for an active preamp. Depending upon how far you are from a transmitter you can even use an indoor dipole antenna and get excellent results! That's what I use 30 miles from Tampa.

You can run any tuner straight into the Van Alstine and use its front panel pots to control volume.

They all made basic FM tuners. Take look on Ebay and you will see over a thousand listings for FM tuners!