Bought the wrong subwoofer!

I was planning to buy a Rel subwoofer but stumbled across a good deal for a SVS sb-2000 pro so I decided to give it a try. Turns out that the the pre-outs on my integrated amp aren’t pre-outs at all but are rec outs (should have put on my glasses). The Svs doesn’t have high level inputs and my amp doesn’t have pre-outs so I’m screwed right? Guess it wasn’t such a great deal after all.

emiliop

As some have mentioned and I can attest to, SVS is not a very musical subwoofer, but it has lots of "boom boom". I sold my SVS SB1000, sounded terrible with my Monitor Audio speakers. They actually sound better, stand alone without a subwoofer for now. I do have two SVS PB1000’s in my HT setup, and truthfully, great "boom boom" from movies. Enjoy your new Rel B3 and let us know how it works out for you, cheers.

I use an SVS 2000 Pro sub with my JBL L100 Classic speakers and I have gotten them to blend really well together.  They are a very musical subwoofer if you connect it correctly and use the SVS software to control the sub.  I spent close to a month dialing it in, made many notes, trial and error and got the sound “just right” for my taste. You are blaming the sub when you made the mistake to not check out fully what your receiver has for inputs and outputs.  Don’t diss the sub for your own mistakes. 

I own a pair of REL T/7i subs and a pair of SVS 3000 Micro subs. They are similar in size, but the Micro's are a bit smaller…an eleven inch cube. The T/7i has a single front-firing 8" active driver with a 10" passive driver on the bottom while the Micro's use dual opposing 8" active drivers.

I got the Micro's because I've been waiting for ages for SVS to make a subwoofer that's designed for audiophiles with dedicated 2-channel setups instead of the home theater behemoths that dominate their product-line. I was not expecting the Micro's to give my beloved T/7i subs much competition, but after living with them for a few months, I actually prefer the sound of my system with the Micro's.

I was using the high-level inputs with the T/7i, which I prefer, but my preamp happens to have s 2nd pair of outputs that can be used for subs, so no complications with hook-up. In both cases, I'm running my main speakers full-range, but controls on the SVS enable better integration than I could achieve with the REL's.

Before this, I did try the SVS SB2000, but I could never get good integration with them for 2-channel use, so they went back. The 3000 Micro's are completely different and definitely keepers. Most reviewers who have evaluated the new T/7x and 3000 Micro prefer the former. Perhaps I would too, but in my system, the Micro's pull out ahead of the T/7i's.

Loft - Wide Shot
Loft Wide Shot with SVS 3000 Micro Subs

Loft - MLP
Loft from the listening position

SVS 3000 Micro
SVS 3000 Micro next to Orchard Audio monoblock amp

The REL b3 may be a 15 year old design but the one I brought home today looks great and sounds better. I was able to get it to blend with my Sonus Faber pretty easily and it truly does disappear from the room. You shouldn’t be so quick to dismiss vintage audio gear. I have owned and enjoyed some equipment almost as old as I am and most of it worked better than I do. I am really happy with my current setup which was put together on a pretty tight budget.

I had one of the old Rel subs. I rebuilt the amp and the woofer needed to be replaced at about 20 years. I ordered one from Volt in the UK, they still make the same driver.  It was a good sub.

I think bass is one of the last things audiophiles understand so I’m glad there are so many subwoofer experts on this site.