Questions about Ethernet Cabling

PLEASE READ: This is not a thread about the merits or demerits of audiophile-grade ethernet cables, or any cable for that matter. If you don’t believe in spending extra on expensive cables, I respect your opinion but please don’t turn this into a point of contention.

So before I ask my questions, let me describe how internet connectivity is setup in my house:

- [Home office/study] The modem (AT&T), router (Google Nest/Mesh), and switch ($25 TP-link basic switch) are located in the home office/study. I also have a second system in this room as well as other stuff connected through the switch. In other words, I can’t move the switch to another room.

- [Media room] The main audio system is located in the media room which is in the diagonally opposite side of the house (single story). This room has the ENO ethernet filter connected to the Innuous Zenith MK3 streamer, and so on.

[Long ethernet cable] A very long run of ethernet cable (CAT 6/over 100 foot) runs from the [Home office/study] router and terminates into the [Media room] ethernet jack/wall plate. This was done by the builder and it runs through the attic.

- [Media room] From the [Media room] ethernet wall plate, I then use another 6 foot ethernet cable (also CAT 6) that goes into an ENO filter and then on to the Innuos Zenith MK3 streamer.

So here are my questions:

1. Is it worth upgrading only the so-called last-mile ethernet cable, i.e. the one between the [Media room] ethernet wall plate and Eno filter while I continue using the long CAT 6 cable [Study >> Media room]? It is going to be difficult, if not impossible, to replace the long-run CAT 6 cable as it goes through the attic where several spots are not reachable without tearing down some sheetrock.

2. Is it worth adding a second audiophile-grade switch (e.g. uptone) in the media room while leaving the one in the study as is? Or is it better to upgrade the switch in the study first and place the cheaper switch in the media room? Or do I need to replace both switches (not prefered as it adds to the cost)?

128x128arafiq

@lalitk -- Agreed. As we discussed a few weeks ago, something like Telegartner is part of the not-so-distant future purchase plan. The cheap switch was always supposed to be a stopgap measure, but what I didn’t account for was that it would actually degrade sound quality to this extent. Well, you live and learn.

As I mentioned earlier, the EE Switch8 didn’t work in my system. I know @grannyring has had success with his. For some reason when I talked to the dealer at the time of purchase, he said that EE actually recommends switching PS over LPS. So I never bothered with an LPS. I wonder if that was the missing piece of the puzzle.

@antigrunge2 -- Based on my rather ordinary experience with EE Switch8, I’m a bit leery of trying another product in the same price range. I think to hear ’substantial’ improvements, something like a Telegartner is probably the way to go. Innuos’s PhoenixNET is another option. Both are much pricier than EtherRegen to be fair though.

At this point, I need to decide my next move ... do I first improve the USB side of things by inserting something like the Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker/regenerator, or invest in a better switch upfront. Eventually, I might end up doing both, but let’s say if I have to get one of them first, which one do you guys think will provide a more noticeable improvement?

Is there any way to get rid of the noise put into the system by a wifi extender?

@jerrybj -- someone like @lalitk or @antigrunge2 are probably more knowledgeable on this topic, but I would say something like an ENO filter (Network Acoustics) might not be a bad option to consider. I tried my Zenith MK3 both with and without the ENO, and it definitely makes a subtle but noticeable improvement. It allows for a blacker background which in turn improves transparency and detail retrieval in my system. But it's not a night or day difference for sure.

@arafiq

Use a netgear GS305 self learning bridge:

I have about 4 of these in my house daisy-chained and they work perfectly. Use at least a cat6 cable and you will be fine.

@arafiq

pls see my previous post re: InnuOS Phoenix USB. The utility is very much dependent on your DAC’s clocking accuracy and USB implementation. USB is a compromised transmission format; increasingly people consider going all fibre to the streamer and on to the DAC. Since we however live in the here and now I’d try and improve the USB connection first by inserting galvanic isolation. I use the Intona Isolator with Intona reference short (!) cables for that purpose. It’ll not get you what the Phoenix can do but will be a lower cost option. The expensive bit in the Phoenix is the clock; I am somewhat disenchanted with Innuos for trying to sell us the same thing twice rather than offer separate clock entries in one unit (Phoenix USB and Phoenix Ethernet) since clocking is important in both links.

tThe reason I am unconvinced about the Phoenix USB is mainly that in asynchronous USB the DAC slaves the server to its clock; so by getting better clocking on the Dac rather than inserting another box you actually kill two birds with one stone: not only do you improve USB clocking but you also, and in my mind even more importantly improve clocking of the D to A conversion with very beneficial effects on attack, reverb and soundstage.

All told, rather than spend too much money on USB consider whether going all fibre is a future solution and if you decide to stay with USB focus on isolation as well as the Dac’s clock.