Are Bowers and Wilkins speakers overpriced?

I see a lot of negative commentary on B&W. Why? Are they overpriced? Do they not sound as amazing as they look? Are they too “main stream”? - I love my 805 d3’s but curious why they get such a bad rep. 
paulgardner
@unsound 
it's not a boutique brand for sure and you might be right, the wide variety puts them on a lot of shelves. 
As way above says…..

your asking specifically if b&w speakers are overpriced………in an audio website  ?
eveerthing audio is overpriced. 
 Audio diehards spend 250$ on a fuse …A FUSE !!!!!
or 2500$ on a pair of rca cables…..
700$ on a 2 foot power cord which turns water into wine.  
 Are b&w overpriced ?? Yeah maybe a little 😄😄🍺
Are they expensive, not to me when you compare them with the competition. There is lot of R&D, labor (UK not China) and distribution cost not to mention dealers mark ups. 

Fortunately, there are plenty of bargains available in all segments of Hi-Fi :-) 
I do not believe B&W are overpriced for what they have to offer. I have auditioned B&W since the early 90s, hearing plenty of the 800 diamond series over the years. I still own some little old 302s.

I seriously considered the 802D or 800Ds with long auditioning but that tweeter was simply too much for me. Still a great speaker but you need to like the sound, or tame it down with the electronics.

B&W is a class act in my book. Regardless of house sound, some like and some not so much, I have always suggested B&W to others, for good sound and for good value.