why do so many discussions turn contentious?

just venting....why do so many discussion posts need to turn  contenious and nasty?  do you guys find that constructive and/or enjoyable?  I have no clue who or how this forum is moderated, but I sure would love to see a stop to that...it makes me feel like this hobby is dominated by total jerks.

Can't we play nice, share OPINIONS and OBSERVATIONS, realizing that  they often are subjective and biased.  
"if you dont have anything nice to say, say nothing"?  If you wish to disagree, do it in a constructive and mature fashion, no need for "argument ad hominem"...

with all the chaff, one must waste so much time finding the wheat, figuratively speaking.  

I doubt my writing this will change anything, but, like most social media, people writing to others without facing them does not bring out the best, sadly......

128x128jw944ts
@mijostyn: Actually I'm not Neville Chamberlain but thanks for the thought. I was, starting in the mid-90s, dealing with Internet appropriation of proprietary matter, and pretty quickly learned more than a little about behavior on the Net. If you consider my approach to be "politically correct," so be it. I'm not fighting anyone, and am not at war. Perhaps that is part of the problem- one of perception. As I said earlier, I have no solution to this-- I'd like to think moderation is unnecessary, but the reality proves otherwise. 
The problem with AI it reboots and remembers where it left off, I go to sleep and wake up, LOL it’s a whole new world.. BUT then I get reminded.

It’s all a choice, but it is up to me to flip the lid up on the laptop though..

A bot.. Their only real if we capitalize the "B" in bot. Then they become independent, next thing you know, THEIR looking for a better pay package and better health and welfare.. Little $hits, go on strike or something.. :-)

Comradery, with MANNERS it’s not so bad..

Regards
i am not a Bot, noway they would drink as much as i do…

Heavy look close in the red box above the P-51, game warden badge…. he was also an audiophile, etc..

Peace

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7106#&gid=1&pid=10
A good recent example where they wreck a thread: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/my-experience-with-tekton Second post, Jetter is giving "permission in advance to laugh" tomic601 is taking gratuitous pot-shots at me, fonicsmith and jjss49 are accusing the OP of being a fake "burner account" and believe it or not but it goes downhill from there!

I could find lots of examples. You are new so maybe this will bring you up to speed. https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/my-apologies-to-miller-carbon?highlight=apology%2Bmiller%2Bca... Yes the situation is so bad, so many "contentious" people attack me, someone actually felt compelled to start a conversation apologizing to me about it! Read the thread and see. These "contentious" people have no self-awareness. None! Also you have no idea the extent of it. A whole bunch of them think it is okay to harass me with fraudulent complaints against my x-ray license. Not the only one, either. Several people have let me know they were attacked and bullied as well.

jw944ts-
A question or observation is posted, it leads to a thread of 50 responses, mostly of little or no value, and often leading totally away from the original post...
I could have written this myself. In fact I have, dozens of times!

The good news is you are not alone. I get PM all the time from people who appreciate the help but not the static and so they avoid posting. Which is a shame, and enables the worst few to maintain the illusion they are what the site is all about. My suggestion is report every single post you see that is off topic. This seems to be working with one of the very worst. Tons of his posts are removed making the threads much easier to read. Everything off topic, report it. Let the perps know their antics are not appreciated. If you would like to see the site improve that is for now all we can do.