Budget Phono preAmp

Hi All,

I am trying to make a small upgrade to my current system - for which Vinyl will be the most used source. My thinking is an affordable Phono PreAmp - but I’m trying to decide which one. I’m currently looking at either:
  • Rega Fono MM MK3
  • Moon 110LP v2
My current system is:
  • Dynaudio Special 40s
  • 30 year old Linn Axis Turntable with new Addikt MM cartridge
  • Marantz sr5014 A/V receiver
So right now it is all Moving Magnet and no need for Coil. Eventually the Linn will need to be replaced, and probably a later cartridge upgrade too, but by then I’ll have upgraded the receiver situation to either a nice integrated option or separates. Right now its most bang for the buck with a limited investment.

All thoughts warmly appreciated!
terracebk21
phono: always tricky to be totally happy, have return option

schiit mani sets you up for MM and has options for your future MC cartridge, and schiit has 15 day money back.

+1 for Schiit Mani

Take a look at the Cambridge DUO, as well. Currently the the best spec'd Phono over at ASR
Since you’re using MM carts, you want to have a low capacitance - maximum 100 pF on the phono stage. This rules out all Sutherlands, I believe, as well as a number of others. The Simaudio you mention is sounds great and has adjustable capacitance below 100 pF, so that would be an excellent choice.. The Mani has has a capacitance of 100pF, so it’s a good fit as well.
Make sure you get a demo/audition.  I brought in the Moon 110LP v2  and compared it to my internal preamp stage and it was not worth the spend. I was going to have to move up the line to get improvement.