Meridian 508.24...sound compared to newer players

I've owned the 508.24 for about ten years now...having upgraded from a 508.20 to .24. I know for many years this CD player was highly regarded and my long term relationship with it is a testimony to how well I think it sounds. However, I know many advancements have been made over time but I have not really kept up with or listened to many newer high end players. While not on it's last legs, I realize that a 10 year old CD player will not be lasting forever (I already replaced the laser). So I may be looking soon at a replacement. To those of you who have owned the 508.24 or are aquainted with it's sound, I would like to know your impressions of it compared to the newer high end players in the $2000-$3500 price range. One player I am specifically interested in is the Bryston BCD-1. Anyone compared these two? Any recommendations or comments would be welcomed.

Thanks
randyhat
“Does anyone have experience with replacing the belt to share with me?”

Remove the bottom screws (all torx) on each side (6); remove the screws on the rear sides (4); and remove the rear top plastic cover (push in 3 clips) it will pop off, this will reveal (2) more screws. Once all those screws are removed, the entire top casing slides off if you pull/push it towards the rear.
By hand, gently pull the transport out to the eject/open position. You will see the belt where the transport resides on the right side towards the front.
You can order one here: https://www.meridianlegacy.co.uk/product-category/meridian-500-series-parts/

Being over 20yrs old now, it’s highly recommended to take apart the pick-up assembly and remove all the old grease and replace it with new.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/195557-meridian-508-20-transport.html
After this service you will find the player plays and accesses chapters much quicker, without the usual “Loading....” message displayed.

I still own a 508.24. Mainly used as a transport + Genesis Digital Lens + DAC -with wonderful results.

With advances in PC audio and streaming, there’s no need to buy a newer CD player IMHO.
I can't believe this thread has been going for 13 years. Anyway... I have a Meridian 508.20 that I bought new in 1996/97. Yes it is nearly a quarter century old. I replaced the laser once about 12 or so years ago and the tech at the time told me I would never get another one, it took him nearly 12 months at that time to find the parts (I am in NZ). So now it is finally dying and I have no idea what to replace it with, as it is (was) such a great sounding relaxed player. I remember when I bought it, I listened to it beside a Marantz KI player (can't remember the spec) and the Meridian was just so much easier to listen to. So I am hesitant about buying the current Marantz 6007 player that everyone seems to rave about. Am thinking of a Naim CD5si. So to again pose the thread author's original question (13 years later), how good are the latest players in comparison?
If you have a DAC that you like, I strongly recommend the Pro-Ject RS2 CD transport at just under 3k. I’ve had several different players, including Meridian and Oppo, and prefer it by a mile.  But it’s a transport, not a player, so may not be what you need.  There is a separate thread extolling it’s virtues.  Happy hunting.