Subwoofer with Thiel 2.4s?

Hi all, I'm in the process of building a new system and am considering adding a sub to my Thiel system. I'd love to get one of the Smart Subs, but they're just too damn expensive to fit into the budget. Any opinions on the other alternatives? Although I do use the system for TV and occasional movies, I'm really only interested in 2 channel.

I've read good things about the REL Strata III, but would like to hear other's opinions on the available < $1000 (used) options.
128x128cal3713
Anyone aware of the "charge the room" theory of subs? Although it might seem like another example of "audio mysticism", it appears to be real. Listen to music that has seemingly no bass with and without a (well designed, like a REL) sub. Without it the mojo disappears. Mandolin stuff illustrates this point...some say the sub sort of "charges" the air. Without the sub you could be experiencing a "mojo filter".
I like Thiel's warranty 10YRS.
Most others 1-3 tops.
I had bought some used JL's(113'sX4)from different sellers they were two yr. old.
Got them from the US.had them for a 8 months,one died,the other had next to no vol left.
As there was no warranty it was going to cost me a 1000 for each sub to send to JL to fix.I sold them all as is.
I wonder how many other JL sub s have crapped out over the 2-3yr period.
I liked them better than my DD-15's.
Warranty is very important to have.
I'd rather pay a nice chunk of change for a sub with warranty(10yr),than buy a cheaper sub and it's gonna crap out anyway.Save for a great sub with alot of warranty and
save alot of grief later,2-3 yr warranty doesn't seem to be even close for the price a person pays for a sub.

Well, I picked up a REL Storm III. My plan was to use it as a high quality "hold-over" until another appropriately priced Thiel USS/SS1 comes up. I'll comment on the sound when I get the REL in later this week... and will update the thread if I end up comparing it to a Thiel Smart Sub.

Hopefully adding those final low frequencies to the Thiel 2.4/ Pass INT-30A combination will allow me to focus on buying new music...
I have to say that I'm extremely impressed with what this sub did to my system. Like others have commented, adding the sub opens up the soundstage and adds depth to pretty much all the music I listen to. I also watched Salt and listened to Tupac's All Eyes on Me, and the sub really made up for the previous bass deficiencies that had made these types of material feel flat and lifeless before the sub. Yesterday was really the first time I've been fully satisfied with the stereo since beginning the upgrades in December. I may eventually upgrade to a Thiel sub just because of the Thiel main speakers, but honestly, the REl does integrate very well. Sounds great.
The smartsub was designed to accompany model SCS4 monitor speakers.
A REL sub is very fine for any of the Thiel floor-standers.