Does the Rogue Cronus Magnum III have any real competition in its same price point of $3k?

If so, what is it? (new and tubes only please.)

Thanks!

shtinkydog

I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.  I had to stop looking/researching for a while.   So it looks like its down to the Cronus and the Raven.  My JBLs are 92db.  Maybe the Raven..

There is more to the choice than just the power differential.

There is more to the need for power than just the sensitivity spec. 

The sonic difference between these amplifiers, as it relates to ones own preferences as heard driving ones speakers needs be considered.

To me the post by avanti1960 seems most useful. These amps will impose a different sonic character to your speakers. The sound character of each can be somewhat adjusted with tube rolling.

For my 12 x 15' room driving my Tannoy Sterlings having a 91B sensitivity and a fairly flat 8 ohm impedance( not below 5 ohms) I may enjoy the possible additional refinement offered Raven more. Driving my Esoteric MG10s having a sensitivity of 87dB and a 6 ohm impedance (dropping to 3.5 ohms) I might prefer the additional drive offered by the Rogue. 

I understand that you have moved to a larger room. Likely larger than my own.

We have both KT 120 or KT 77 with Rogue Cronus Mag III with the Gold Lion KT 77 in triode offers gorgeous fineness for simpler 2 way load applications. What if you need a bit more grip ? KT 88 or 120s for multi driver loudspeakers We find this Latest CM MK III design amp very versatile,adaptable, and satisfying.
Best JohnnyR