Need preamp suggestion

My Krell home theatre pre developed static noise and the repair bill is expensive, so I want to get a new one that sounds at least as good. I am listening to the system with an inexpensive Adcom pre, and the Krell sounds considerably better in many ways - open, dynamic, bigger and more realistic.

Are there pre amps that are a good match for Krell Power amp, that sound as good or better, for a good affordable price?

I also have McIntosh separates and enjoy the sound, but the Krell combo sounds more modern, liquid, and transparent.

I am looking for those qualities.

Big thanks for your words of experience in advance...

gongli3
I'm personally a big fan of the Tubes4Hifi SP14. It comes as a kit, by default, but you can have it assembled. It has left and right channel balance. I highly recommend getting one with a remote control and with Jupiter output caps. 
I just put a Rogue Audio RP-5 into my system. Matched up with a Pass XA25... great sound! 

look for an Onkyo p-308. Still a great , great preamp.

Have it recapped, and upgraded.
good for another 25 years. 
Keep checking AG, for nice stuff.

Conrad Johnson et3se is amazing!
I have the Benchmark HPA4 (same as LA4) preamp and it is my favorite component in my all Benchmark stack. I think it is the reason that more expensive gear that I bought to beat it came up short and was sold or relegated to secondary use.

It does have an Achilles heel with my RAAL SR1a phones so that is why the warmer CODA 07x is joining the party. Both pre’s are staying.
Conrad Johnson pv1 can be had for under a thousand and the sound is wonderful.