MOBILE FIDELITY ONE STEP VINYL

Just saw Music Direct is taking pre-orders over the phone for the next One Step releases:
Monk's Dream and 
Mingus Ah Um !!! 
I got mine ordered (and they don't charge you till it ships)
Anyone else interested in ordering these? 
tbromgard
The records that they pick are best sounding to them based on their criteria, does that mean it will be the best based on the consumer’s criteria?

No. But here's a question for you: can you think of anything where that would be the case? No. So same as usual.
Do we know what gear they are using to do the determination?

Yes. They play records on a turntable, listening through speakers.
Does that gear allow them to truly hear what is the best sounding pressing?

It's not the gear that allows anyone to hear Daveyf. It's our own ears and listening skills. All it's ever been, all it ever will be.
Unless you know what you are looking for, many japanese pressings can sound very thin, almost anemic
Even the pressings from the 70's and early 80's?

It depends. You have to know what you are looking for. Yes, even the pressings from 70’s and 80’s.  Even reissue US pressings can sound thin as well.  

Many from this period were not pressed on virgin vinyl so they can have some surface noise but they still can sound very good.
Thanks, I'm about to purchase a few from Japan and I don't have a real comparison point for many
@millercarbon  Nope, the gear makes all the difference! If you think one can judge records by listening to a Crosley all in one, then yes, you would be right! After all, the Crosley is a turntable and has speakers...;0)
You can use your ears and apply your listening skills all you like, the Crosley is the Crosley.......