Anyone else treated poorly by AVA?

Back at the end of December 2020, I placed an order with Frank at Audio by Van Alstine for a Vision SLR preamp. Heard so many good reviews about Frank and his products, I felt that was just what the doctor ordered for my system. At first I was told the custom building of my unit would take up to 3 weeks. Then, as nothing happened, I inquired and was told due to an unexpected high volume of orders, mine would take another 2 weeks. I then told Frank, please tell me if there are any further delays because not knowing is worse than getting bad news. Three weeks past, not a word from Frank. So, almost 2 months past the order date, I called him and he tells me they have a problem, the master technician who builds these units left for another state to care for his wife who got sick. I get that and I hope with all my heart she will be ok. But bottom line is Frank fed me multiple excuses for not performing while not communicating about any of it. It was completely inexcusable. He had my money for nearly two months and did not bother to keep me updated of what was going on. I could not ever recommend AVA to anyone and felt compelled to relate this on this site since I usually see only praise for Frank and I frankly felt the opposite. Worst audio purchasing experience in my 66 years.

128x128baylinor
@baylinor,

you were right to post this. I want to hear about the companies customer service, good or bad. Because Frank Van Allistine has made many contributions to the audio world over the decades, many people feel he deserves a pass. I do not feel de does and I am sure many others who never post feel the same. You did right and I wouldn’t want a first timer working on something of mine.

Here. Is a little story, in 1995 I bought a new Dodge Stratus with the 2.4 liter engine. The car went through 3 head gaskets in 2 years. The third time it was being replaced, the service manager had his son, fresh out of mechanics school do the job. It ended up being quite a cluster***k and he not only installed it wrong, he punctured a hole in the transmission line. All the way home and back I had smoke pouring out in front of the windshield because the transmission fluid leaked onto the hot manifold. The engine and transmission was ruined. Chrysler Corp had to pay for a new crate engine and transmission. As soon as it got fixed, I traded it in on a new Camry. Would never buy anything made by Chrysler Corp ever again.

All because a trainee did the job with no supervision. 
Well it seems Frank dropped the ball in that situation.  2weeks ago He returned my call I left for him at 7pm Central time on a Friday night. Now that is good service my friend. Sometimes you reap what you sow.
Baylinor
Good for you, small businesses are small for a reason and it’s usually customer service. You will love the Prima Luna worth the extra money and no sleepless nights. 
Damn, Frank must be pretty darn old now. In the mid-80’s I sent him my Dynaco PAS pre-amp to have him install his mod, and he was at least middle-aged then. He already looked a lot like Bill Johnson, iirc. Real fine designer imo, very value orientated. His modded-PAS was the quietest pre-amp I’ve ever owned. He installed 5751's in place of the 12AX7's.