What is a good base for speakers

Fussing with setting up a new system in basement. My vintage ADS L710's sit on original stands that don't have fittings for spikes. As the stands sit on a carpeted floor, they rock a lot (no pun intended). I'm thinking of some sort of base to settle them down. Looking for suggestions of a material appropriate for stability  - any experience with wood butcher block, granite or slate cutting boards as a base? More DIY than expensive. Thanks for any suggestions. 
mcondo
any experience with wood butcher block, granite or slate cutting boards as a base? More DIY than expensive.

I have experience with all of these, which is why I recommend springs. Nothing else even comes close. And I am pretty darn good at DIY
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 Yes I built the table and stand. Springs are totally the way to go.
Often concrete floors are not level, have low spots. I would buy butcher block cut to size and add spikes that can be adjusted for leveling. Maybe stands could be bolted to the butcher block.
For solid bass you need a solid base. I base this on solid experience. You may find it baseless. 
Funny russ69..  btw - re: the 3 point solution I have run YBA gear for a long time and they have 3 point feet. How could I have forgotten that!