Not Thrilled with Vandersteen 2CE Sigs - where is the first place to work on?

Trying to build up the system this year, bought some Vandy 2CE Sigs.  Have the anchors, following instructions for placement, built bass traps and a couple of acoustic panels in my medium-sized but odd-shaped basement listening area - still not thrilled.  Using laptop with Tidal and Dragonfly Red - and some stuff sounds GREAT (Steely Dan, SRV, Beck, Dire Straits, Wilco) - but disappointed in a lot of other stuff.  Some objective opinions on where my issues might lie?  Expectations too high? Hearing the truth of production variations?  Running an NAD C272 at 150WPC and an original 1979 APT Holman Pre Amp.  Not MAC, Bryston, etc - but was expecting more.  Thoughts? Rebuild/recap the APT?  Amp upgrade?  Where might the low-hanging fruit be?
gjinwi
+1 mvrooman.  I had a problem w/ my 2Ce's too close to walls, moved them 8 ft into the room and the sound is completely different.  As for efficiency: for a while I was driving them with a 25 wpc tube amplifier and reached unpleasantly loud sound levels before the volume control was past 12noon. 
op

this ... by soix... is the only post that is meaningful so far...

You need to be more specific about what you’re not liking about the sound and what recordings aren’t sounding good to you, otherwise you’re just spinning everyone’s wheels here.

if you are just belly aching here, then continue...

... if you want helpful input and advice... communicate what is posed above ^^^^^^
my vandys sounded as advertised only in a humongous room on the long wall. every other environment and position made them sound honky/shoutey to me. they will NOT work in a small room. my thiels OTOH work just fine in my small [14" wide] room but suck up the juice like gangbusters. they sound like the vandys did in aforementioned humongous room [very wide and deep stereo image, but narrow sweet spot]. 
I currently using the Vandy 2CE Sig II driven by Mac. MC601 (600) watts mono block and with C2300 Tube pre in a 12x12 room, the vandy is about 18” from the back wall and I must say the bass is very sufficient, good soundstage, crystal clear, and quiet at any volume range. It’s just a matter of setting the systems right.