How I'd spend money given no limits

oldhvymec asked me this in another thread, and I thought it was worth sharing to hear how others might respond and spend for themselves.

Erik, if you could, would you. if you could and had all the means, would you buy the absolute best you could buy?

Maybe a better question is, would I drop a million dollars on a stereo system if I could? No, I can’t imagine unless this involves building a home around it. In large part because I don’t see the returns. Let me expand on this.

First, what is best? I completely and utterly want to burn down the idea that high-price = high-end. So, the question for me is, is there higher performing gear I could get given cost is no object? Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think you can get to great performance for free or what a covid economy would call cheap.

For me, much of this hobby was in building, not buying. I made my own speakers, which may sound like crap (but I like them!), but the pride of ownership is unparalleled. Anyone with a fat enough wallet can buy their way into the club and pretend to be part of the cognoscenti but when you build anything, even if from a kit, you are ahead of everyone who has not. If I had any amounts of money to spend in my version of this hobby I’d experiment with custom line arrays or for HT, high output MTM, and innovative bass traps. My money would go to 3D CAM based milling machines, and sawdust removal. I would also hang out on Audiogon laying waste to snake oil salesmen all day long.

In terms of electronics what have I heard I feel is the equal or better than what I own?

• Luxman
  • Ayre
  • D’Agostino
  • Vandersteen
  • CAT
So sure, I could see myself with a gorgeous looking D’Agostino stack but I’d have more fun with a room full of 30-75 W tube amps and integrateds. From Citation to CJ, Luxman and others, I think it would be much more fun to have colorful, juicy integrateds swapped in regularly than to assemble some sort of godlike equipment stack. Of course, if I do that I’d probably end up with some rather large JBL or Altec horn loaded speakers to offer enough output.

In another area, headphones, I probably would drop a lot more money than I have. The best audio at a show, ever, was from Audeze headphones driven by Woo Audio tube headphone preamp. I’d love to have that experience in my home again. BTW, that was a very long time ago, so if I did this again I’d definitely want to listen to Raal Earspeakers and other headphone amp/DACs.

Any remaining money I’d spend on supporting musical education and culture. Great musicians come from an environment that includes formal education, access to instruments and a thriving supportive community.

Best,

Erik

erik_squires
First of all I'd buy a bigger house that will fit my current system better.
Then I'd create a dedicated music room and a dedicated media room.
Like other people mentioned - I'd install dedicated lines for the power.
Equipment-wise? I'm finally happy where I'm at. I may try some uber expensive speakers with my current equipment.
i would buy Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa AZ, turn it into my mansion, have a staff of pizza cookers and organists, pay to upgrade their hybrid wurlitzer organ into one capable of antiphony with pipes in the rear. that would be my ultimate house and surround sound system!
There's no system that's more outstanding than a great recording regardless of format. The most difficult problem is finding great performances that are recorded that well. That can really wake up almost any system I can think of. But yes, as much as I was surprised by the experience, going from a B&W 801 speaker to an Eggleston Andra was like night and day. The Andra's cost almost 3X as much and I waited for years before I could afford them. And I still haven't heard the Egg.-3's...
Considering that I am quite happy with my dedicated audio room, I would leave it pretty much as is, but would definitely make some upgrades to my system. 
If I had a large sum of money to dedicate to nothing but audio, for me, in the space that I have, it would be:
Sound Lab 645PX speakers

A pair of VAC IQ power amps or to conserve a bit of space and cut down on the heat, a Gryphon Diablo 300 SS integrated amp.

Upgrades to both my analogue and digital front end systems, but not sure what.

roseofsa it is very simple for me. If I didn’t, think BIG I would have 1000 unfinished project, instead of only 25 or 30.. That one I posted is surely # 31 on the list... Besides I still gotta work on the funds.. 3-400 mill aught to do it..:-)

OR it could be like the Bay Bridge rebuild, started at about a billion, they lost track at about 7-9 billion, BILLION for a bridge repair...Lost track, LOL... YUP... What's a billion here or there.. 
6.00 starbuck was marked up to 60.00 a cup, YUP...

Regards