Flat screen between speakers, again.

I know this has been discussed before, but after reading most of the somewhat recent responses to similar questions I still need to pick your collective brains.
To mitigate the TV's impact, I am considering building a panel that would cover the TV when it's not in use. The panel would be a 2.5' x 4.5' diffuser or absorber. Ideally it will hang above the TV when I am watching TV and would lower down to block the TV when I am listening to music.

My question is whether this is a viable solution and, if it is, would I be better served with diffusion or absorption?

128x128tony1954
Tony, I recommended a blanket as an experiment to see what if any sonic change occurs vs. the TV glass.

In my case, I was very satisfied with the sound from my system but wanted to see if eliminating reflections off the TV would be beneficial. I tried absorbion and it changed the imaging. So I tried a light blanket and I heard a more focused 3D image; it's like the TV disappeared. 
Now I use a the cotton blanket cut to size as my treatment.

@lowrider57
What colour blanket? (Just kidding.)
I have a comforter I can try, but I also have several 1' x 4' cheap foam absorption panels that are quite light. Perhaps I can attach them to a thin 4' x 5' panel and hang that on the TV with padded hooks. The only risk is damaging the TV screen, which would really suck.

I have a pair of the GIK free-standing panels, 4' x 2'.  This allows you to experiment with placement.  I started off with the pair cosied together directly in front of the screen and as close to it as possible.  But I ended up with them separated, at 45 degrees to screen, half way between two side edges of screen and back corners of speakers.  Moral of the story: the most obvious place for acoustic treatment may not be the most effective.
My TV/DVD(no cable, just over the air) is on a roll away. Wanna watch?  Roll it out of the closet, 2 minute hookup to the system for movie night. Otherwise, 1 minute to just get in the space between the speakers to just watch the tube.

TV in  the living room is an eyesore. Bad enough the system takes up space, but I carefully selected pieces that also are easy on the eyes!

I would experiment between damping and diffusing. No one here is in your room.
a lot of good ideas to try listed above. I did something similar by making a "slip cover" for the tv made from heavy fleece and acoustic foam. Basically it is a big pocket. Very simple to make and I do not sew for a living:>)   *does it make a difference?...in my case, I think it did tame the hard reflective surface while maintaining image focus and 3 dimensional soundstage. YMMV!