When was the first time that you heard great sounding speakers?

For me it was 1977 at Purchase Radio in Buffalo NY. My brother and I were putting together a system that we would share at our parents house. The song was Aja by Steely Dan on a pair of Altec 19's that blew my mind at the time, I'll never forget it. They were a little out of our price range at the time. The system ended up being a Sherwood receiver, KLH speakers, a Technics SL-1950 and a cassette deck that I can't remember the make. Great memory! 
jhugg9

Late 70’s when my Dad brought home Kef 105.2 reference speakers (sometimes we called them "the robots"), along with a Carver cube amp and Carver C-4000 pre-amp with "sonic holography."

It was astoundingly huge, rich, dimensional sound. Blew out minds, and most of my friends would love to play records on our set up.

That definitely got me used to impressive hi-fi, and put the bug in me, for better or worse.

The next "whoah" moment was years later when a friend got the hi-fi bug and bought a pair of used Quad ESL 63s and a Dynaco ST-70 tube amp.When he said "come and listen to this" and I did, it blew me away. Never heard sound quite like that. That dragged me back in to hi-fi, and I ended up buying ESL 63s, with a CJ MV55 tube amp, and later added Gradient Subs.

Vancouver 1973 - A & B Sound on Seymour Street. Altec Segovia's playing the Stones' Sympathy For The Devil. Now decades later I have acquired a pair! Still an excellent speaker, particularly for Rock!