Analog or Digital and why?

Computers don't make very good guitars. Back in the 90's the debate raged with digital people saying one day digital will get so good, records will become obsolete. Well it's 25 years later and, well the digital thing never happened and analog never sounded better. However you got to remorgage your house. And buy records. 
128x128chrismini
Of course analog will be the baseline and reference, as it came before digital. Chronological priority does not, however, mean "better." Accidents of history don’t ever determine quality.

What sounds better, more "real," more natural, lifelike, whatever: an audiophile pressing of "A Whisper of Love" by Ayako Hosokawa on vinyl from Impex, or the 24k gold cd of the same? Three Blind Mice recordings are fabulous, and this is one which I own in both formats. A friend and I listened to both formats back to back one evening. Now, I’ve been digital since the late ’80’s, and have only recently come back to vinyl. Lots of nostalgia, and a great love of what someone here rightly called the liturgy of record-playing. I now romanticize vinyl and its rituals, and am willing to pay the absurd amounts that MoFi, Analogue Productions, etc. ask for their pressings. They sound great, of course, and it’s a special occasion to cue up these records.

My friend, he’s not so easily impressed. No romanticism with him, no vested interest in the vinyl revival or any debate on A-gon. While I heard the vinyl as "better," he heard the cd as such. My cd rig (transport and good DAC) is a little pricier than my TT and stage, but there was more going on than only sonics. He’s got a pretty good ear, and calls ’em like he hears ’em. I’ve only been listening through decent equipment for the last year or so, but know that I often hear exactly what I want to hear. In this case, I wanted the vinyl to sound better.

Who knows if it did? Some of the folks here might insist it must have, that, since vinyl has a magical quality that nothing else does, only an inferior TT prevented the record from shining in its greater glory. And they patronize those who like digital as if they’re children who just don’t know better, shuffling around the house listening to their lil’ iPods. Please.

I dig vinyl. I dig cd’s. I dig streaming, sometimes. Because I dig music. Not "audio," but music. What sounds better to anyone else’s ears seems irrelevant when enjoying what’s playing.
frankly the recent pressings suck in quality, Analogue productions should be embarrased... now that I think about it, I will send them some audio files of the QC they so clearly lack... RTI, vaunted RTI ain’t much better..
Digital all the way now. Analog will be dinosaurs in a few decades, maybe even less.

Best digital today is as good as and in many ways better than analog. Noise floor, dynamic range and ease of use alone makes it a winner.

Almost all the recent analog you think you are listening to, is recorded initially all in digital anyway.

I do love turntables & vinyl but not because they sound better but because they LOOK better & cooler :-)  At least I am being real with myself.

sometimes i want discover new music, music that comes recommended from various avenues in the genres i enjoy (and some other genres occasionally too!)

sometimes i want the comfort and enjoyment of listening to old chestnuts i love

when i have found music i really enjoy, it make it a ’favorite’ on the streaming source and will listen repeatedly/often

if i really love the music, i may pursue finding it in different media such as in LP form, just to have it and be able to hear it from a different source

imo the dating/one night stand vs marriage analogy mentioned earlier is misplaced and misguided, although the whole post raised some interesting points

better analogy is sometimes we go to new, well reviewed, recommended restaurants, sometimes we go to old favorites to eat our go-to items for comfort and consistencyn- reality is, enjoying food and dining, we do both - though obviously in varying proportions depending on preferences