Tubes?

I have Revel Salon 2 speakers. Sensitivity is about 85 db. and 4 ohms. They are power hungry speakers. Currently, I am driving them with McIntosh 601's and a McIntosh solid state preamp. I was look looking at a pair of McIntosh MC2301. They are tube amps rated at 300 watts into 2 - 8 ohm loads. I listen to all types of music (sometimes at very high levels). I never run out of power with the 601's, but I am very intrigued with tubes. This may be a misconception, but I remember some friends who played guitar saying, tube watts were louder than solid state? Perhaps this is not really true or not true regarding home stereo. Perhaps the best idea is to keep the 601's and get a good tube preamp?                          Thanks, Dave 
128x128tobor007
No way antigrunge.
SETs will be crippled trying to run these Revels.
I smell smoke.
Don't go there.

I recall Audio Research has built tube amps with 600w.  I see them used at £7,000-£8,000.  Lots of valves though.

Dull to see millercarbon still peddling the same old stuff.
If you are going to try tube power, I would be looking for a VTL amp if you are trying to drive the Salons and get any SPL out of them.

VTL MB-450 monoblocks do 450 watts RMS per channel, or go for the VTL Siegfrieds if you want 650 RMS watts per channel. They will drive just about anything.

The 4th order xover on the salons, is in some ways like the cross over on the Snell A3s; they both suck up tons of power and need 300+ watts per channel to really come to life.
Exactly Dave. Keep the amps and get a tube preamp or phono stage.
Tube amps just do not have the same speaker control as a good SS amp.
They do not delineate kick drum or tympani as well. You can get the same warmth out of a tube preamp without sacrificing bass control. I do it with a tube phono stage.  
Today, basically SAYING (or posting) that something is TRUE simply makes it true.  We don't need no SCIENCE or measurements or "experts" with 50 years' experience.  Popping off at the top of your lungs and continuing to scream whatever it is makes something "TRUE" today.

Conspiracy theories, politics, diseases, tubes vs SS, speaker materials, wires--it DOES NOT MATTER.

If someone THINKS something someone else has said is true, IT IS.  Back when I was coming up (there you go), people had a saying:  CONSIDER THE SOURCE.

That is, who benefits from believing whatever is being shouted?

So, go to your REPUTABLE dealer and take home and try as many items as you need to find the sound YOU are happy with. And, remember, and this IS true: Your room is the most important variable in any sound system. If you don’t believe that one, move your stuff to another room and see for yourself.

Cheers!