"Bridge Over Trouble Water" sounds artificial

During the pandemic I've been upgrading my sound system.  I used to enjoy Simon & Garfunkel, "Bridge Over Trouble Water".  With my upgraded equipment the hi resolution audio sounds very synthetic, with one track on top of another, not like real music at all.  The voices are doubled and violins just layered on top.  On my same system, I played a live concert of Andre Previn playing Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue".  It sounded real and beautiful, like a live performance.  Am I doing something wrong?
aeschwartz
The better your equipment gets, the worse that old, sub-par recordings sound.  I did find something that really helps on these anemic sources.  Since I bi-amp, I use a separate amp AND and preamp for the bass. With a double pole, double throw switch, I bypass the sub crossover to add harmonics to fill in for these ancient recordings.  You can do this without the second preamp, but I also get to choose how much bass I add, and without phase shift.
The better your equipment gets, the worse that old, sub-par recordings sound.

I would say the worse they sound compared to the best recordings on same system for sure but any other comparison is highly subjective.

With all equipment BOTW is a poor recording.  Am I wrong?

No, you're right.  BOTW is a poor recording.  That is a problem with a higher resolution system, but for me the better sound on good recordings more than makes up for it.
  I have 2 early pressings and I enjoy them . The producer mentioned earlier did an outstanding job , especially considering the “ Era “. I wish I had an MFSL pressing , but not at current collector prices . I remember watching a documentary where they discussed the drum track for BOTW, being partially done in an elevator doorway in the middle of the night . Apparently the night watchman came off the elevator unaware and was quite startled . It’s too bad that the Classic Rock era suffered from the AM car radio mix . But it’s interesting to see people like Jimmy Page using a metal lipstick tube to enhance his slide work . And Pink Floyd’s homemade tape loops to add the sounds to some early music. While my system lacks any kind of tone control or digital correction , I find tube rolling alleviates some issues , YMMV. It is a crap shoot sometimes , but It is what it is ! Happy listening .