Is a Linn Sondek LP12/Lingo/Ekos with a Cirkus update, the last turntable I’ll ever buy?

Opinions, experiences, cartridges and preamps used?
128x128coachpoconnor
I bought a Linn Axis in 1986 and it's still here so that is a good omen.  
The table has been around 48 years? Right..
Power Supplies - Vahalla, 4 Lingos
Power Supply/Motor - Radikal
Sub Chassis - Original, Kore, Keel
Bearing - Original, Cirkus, Karosel
Base - Trampoline, Solid.
I'm just learning about this table, but are there more upgrades I haven't listed? I understand that there are many 3rd party upgrades also, but I'm only counting Linn upgrades. As someone who is just learning about the Linn LP-12. It seems that isn't an inordinate amount of upgrades for 48 years. It would seem to me that Linn has done a good job of keeping their turntable relevant. 

I'm not counting Arms or phono pre-amps

daveyf,

'So, and i have said this many times before, if one is looking for a 'plug and play' type of turntable, then the Linn LP12 probably is not for you. The Technics definitely would be far better as a 'plug and play' solution.'

I agree. Absolutely. The Technics is a far better plug and play turntable. It is also more likely to be the choice of any professional vinyl archivist.

Even worse, despite the many speed accuracy upgrades since the original cheap noisy A/C motor unit (which Linn used to once boast about whilst denigrating DC motors) there have been numerous upgrades, including the current top of the range DC motor!

Yet despite them all, the Valhalla, the Lingo, Lingo 2, Radikal etc, I bet that even the Technics SL1200GR still has the better speed accuracy specs, or any other for that matter  

I wouldn't even be too surprised if Linn oneday eventually did a complete 180 and introduced a direct drive version themselves. 

Of course the LP12 does have a certain charm, in the same way a vintage Thorens or a Garrard deck might also have. It is now a part of audio history, despite its murky origins and the notorious legal action which dogged it's early years.

Buying a Linn might be likened to buying a vintage Ferrari. There are many reasons for buying one, but performance for $ is not one of them. No, it should be a matter of passion, and possibly one of dream fulfilment. For better or worse, it is one of the most obsessively compelling audio products ever built.

However, questions still remain as to what the best arm for the Linn is as I remember the Ekos1 getting trounced by Naim's Aro, which is no longer available.

Then there's the question of just how much better is a top spec 2020 LP12 v a top spec 1980s LP12. I have heard that some have argued that successive upgrades have somewhat diminished its fabled analogue warmth. I don't know, and it's difficult to find out as Linn seem to have given up on promoting the LP12 at shows.

The last Linn product I heard, and that was some 6/7 years ago, were some large ugly overpriced floorstanders.

It would also have been nice if Linn had admitted the LP12s heritage and had paid some tribute to its predecessors.
Linn didn't do that. They instead engaged in some very dodgy marketing and business practices and have been consequently enjoying milking the same sacred cow for decades.

The post Ivor, low key Linn, were almost on the verge of killing it off at one point. I bet they're now glad that they didn't. 

Anyone interested should certainly consider buying into the cult of the LP12 - but only if they absolutely must.

And if you do, please make sure it has the reinforced top plate.
@cd318 This is telling:
"Then there’s the question of just how much better is a top spec 2020 LP12 v a top spec 1980s LP12. I have heard that some have argued that successive upgrades have somewhat diminished its fabled analogue warmth. I don’t know, and it’s difficult to find out as Linn seem to have given up on promoting the LP12 at shows.

The last Linn product I heard, and that was some 6/7 years ago, were some large ugly overpriced floorstanders."

There really isn’t any question that the Linn LP12 today is a superior table from any version from the 80’s or even 6/7 years ago! Nonetheless, there are still plenty of folks who haven’t heard one of the top models in decades, or even 6/7 years ago with ugly overpriced floor standers, that are still more than happy to naysay! I really question why this is??
@coachopconnor   There are a few additional mods to your table...1) Original stamped sub chassis, braced stamped sub chassis, Kore, Keel
2) Power supply- original/Nirvana, Valhalla, 4 Lingos ( actually really five, as the first Lingo 2 was exactly the same as the original Lingo but in a different case, while the later Lingo 2 had mods to the board) 
3) Base- Trampolin, Trampolin 2, Solid
4) Top plate-reinforced and non reinforced.
5) Plinth- Original Afro with flute, Non-flute, corner braced and now various color options. 

To that numerous 3rd party options, like the recently popular Tiger Paw Tranquility etc.,