The very best sound: Direct to Disc

Since I got a new cartridge (Clear Audio Virtuoso) i’ve rediscovered the Sheffield and RR Direct Disc albums in my collection.  
Wow! they put everything else to shame.  I picked up about twenty Sheffield D2D’s when Tower Records went out of business for a song (no pun intended.) I’m just now listening to them and find there’s nothing that sonically compares.  They’re just more real sounding than anything else.  Not spectacular but realistic.   
128x128rvpiano
@bdp24 thanks for the history :-) I recently acquired a few of the titles you mentioned ( Fox Vol 1 and 2, Sheffield Test and 6 other D2D for $1.92 each....

The LA 4 disc is a fascinating study of microphone selection and the jacket includes the recording layout as well as EQ settings... that will shock the anti tone control crowd...

One reason many d-2-d LP’s are so musically tepid is the musicians’ fear of making a mistake, which requires scrapping the lacquer and starting anew. The cost of doing that runs into thousands of dollars. That’s why Sax and Mayorga used the best studio musicians, who are used to working under the intense pressure of studio recording, which can be very intimidating to non-studio players. Bands actually break up while making their first recordings, finally hearing what they actually sound like. Such was the case for Russ Kunkel, who went on to become a very successful studio drummer (James Taylor, Carole King, Linda Ronstadt, Carly Simon, Jackson Browne, Stephen Stills, Lyle Lovett, etc.). The other members of the band he moved to L.A. with continued to toil in obscurity.

The Thelma Houston Sheffield is a little brash, some thinking there is overload taking place somewhere in the chain (the cutter head or electronics, the mic pre-amps, or perhaps even the mics). The Sheffield Drum Record suffers no such imperfection; just clean, extremely dynamic drumsets played by Keltner and Elvis’ drummer Ron Tutt. Keltner’s playing is good, but Tutt choked a little. ;-)

I don’t own Flamenco Fever or the L.A. 4 discs, having grown weary of using mediocre music as source material for speaker evaluations before finding copies. Time is too precious to me now to waste on just good sound---I turned 70 last week. Plus, I'm done evaluating loudspeakers.

Dear @bdp24  : Other than me you are the first gentleman with the Sheffield Thelma Houston kind of opinion, for almost any one is one of their favorities D2D recording.

Yes, the Tutt drumer is great too but for some reason I like a little more the Keltner instrument sound especially cymbals but only a preference. Not easy to compare in between those two tracks when both are different kind of improvisation work.

Btw, the Flamenco Fever is not exactly for test speakers or only good sound: that's a misunderstanding because that recording is outstanding at any kind level you can judge it and certainly not a " tepid " as you said or could think.
Seems to me that you was not exposed yet to many  top D2D out there.

Tepid?, between other things I own two way diferent male pianist that were recorded D2D by diferent labels: Dave Grusin and Earl Hines. I don't know other gentlemans but both recordings are evrything you want but tepid.

R.