Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
I've never bothered, and never will. No offense, but people who want things measured are their own worst enemies. There never is any satisfying them. Not saying you are like that. But plenty are.

My last speakers were supposed to be 90 dB and they would play plenty loud. Whatever Moabs measure in dB is in a sense irrelevant. What matters is how they compare to other speakers. Whatever it is, its more than now, and so I am sure they'll play louder with the same amp than speakers that already play louder than I need. Whatever yours are, I would take the same approach, and anything around the same level you will be fine.  

In case you don't know there are plenty of low watt SET amp owners saying their Moabs and Ulfs work just fine, and in bigger rooms than yours. So again you should be fine. Search around, you will see.
Miller, it will be much longer than a month. I was told the same back in December, and that it might be possible even in a couple of weeks. Took a bit over two months for the ulfers and at three months for the center I called Eric and managed to get him to put a rush on it, or no telling when it might have been. It sounded like they were getting overloaded back then, and with covid and more people at home, I’ve read where some vendors sales have increased a good bit. I don’t think you should have ever been told one month at the point you ordered yours. I would be prepared for much longer. I’m thinking about adding a set of moabs for my rear speakers now. 
Congratulations on new speakers millercarbon.

I'm sure they'll be great.

I wouldn't mention this if you hadn't replaced your speakers with what are likely excellent Tekton products.  But in my view, almost anything would be an upgrade over the Talon speakers. 

I once had the Talon Khite speakers to audition, same era as the Khorus, and they were so bad I literally thought they were broken.  The most colored speakers I might ever have heard.  Just a bizarre voicing.  In fact Talon was a bit of a cause celeb back in the day: a couple reviews raved, but they left others scratching their head.   To those who heard what was going on in the frequency response and dispersion, it wasn't a surprise to see the Talons produced some of the worst measurements you can find in the soundstage archive.:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/talon_khorus/

Those measurements mirror what I heard in the Khites as well. 

Congrats on the upgrade!   :-)

And yet in 20 years the Talons in my room earned nothing but compliments, and sold for top dollar and without haggling to the first guy who heard them. So you can say whatever you like. Uninformed opinions are a dime a dozen, and that's me like you trying to be nice. 
Miller, it will be much longer than a month.

Hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me. They are swamped, incredibly busy, and from what I was told are now even max'd out on physical space. So we will see. On the other hand is there anywhere else you can consult with the designer/builder and have your own custom version made to order? At a price easily half or less what it would be through a dealer?

If we somehow in spite of our best efforts manage to not utterly destroy the economy and his business keeps growing its hard to see anything but expansion into new facilities where Eric transitions to a more senior designer/president type role, with prices rising accordingly. Options like I was able to get will be a thing of the past, sacrificed on the alter of efficiency.