McIntosh, your experience?

McIntosh is a name that has been around the high end for a very long time.  I have not owned any of this brand and am considering various brands of used units on A'goN.  If any have previous or current experience I would appreciate your input.  Thanks
whatjd
br3098,  Thanks for your input.  I would be using any electronics in one of two systems.  The main system would be with Maggie 20 and the second system would be with Quads.  I have used several different source units, but I also listen to 2 great college FM stations, one classical and one just superb classic Jazz.  I do listen to some stations off the internet, but not many,.  

Having been a fan of much in the world of music, I started my audio journey in my teen years and have enjoyed the journey since then.  In the early years it was the Rock & Roll of the day.  Starting in my 20s I became a fan of great American Jazz and some classical and have followed that since.  Some of the best live American Jazz I have enjoyed was in Jazz bars in Copenhagen at 2 a.m. 

Take care, Jim

You’re going to get a variety of answers here, some of them from people who have never owned a Mac, some from others who have limited experience that led to a strong prejudice.

My two suggestions: First, consider that for McIntosh to have thrived in the audio business for more than 70 years, the company must be doing something right.

Second, if you want to gauge the experience others have had with Mac, go to a site where you’ll find lots of ’em. Audio Aficionado is one of the best but one note of caution - that site doesn’t tolerate some of the trash talk that’s become common here. But that means the responses you get at AA will be more likely to be responsive to your inquiry.
cleeds is on a roll. This is good dependable gear from a good dependable company. I have owned several of their tuners over the years and they were SOTA. If you want a no hassle experience, bullet proof equipment and are not after the last 5% of sound quality Mac is the way to go except for one thing, the speakers. They are awful.
I had been on the Audio merry go round since I was 15, always buying and selling for supposedly the next best thing. When I retired in 2017, I wanted to upgrade my Parasound Halo Integrated in my secondary system which I listen to 80% of the time since it is in my home office. After doing a lot of research, I decided on a second hand McIntosh integrated from Audio Classics. Within 15 minutes of firing up the Mac at home, I knew it was a keeper. Within 2 more months, I had also purchased a McIntosh SACD player and FM Tuner. I was and still am in Audio heaven.

Meanwhile, my main system had also been going through changes, mainly replacing my speakers with the brand new GE Triton Reference speakers. I had already changed amps from a tricked out Odyssey Kismet amp to a Conrad Johnson 250wpc amp. I was very unhappy with the sound. On Jan 2, 2018, I purchased a McIntosh tube preamp, top of the line tuner, and a 300wpc amp, all McIntosh. The system has been transformed! If you had told me 10 years ago I would own mostly Mac gear, I would have said no way.

I had a lot of good equipment over the years, 3 different Audible Illusions tube preamps, 4 Magnum Dynalab tuners, 2 Classe amps, 2 Odyssey amps, a Conrad Johnson amp, a Rogue Audio RP5 tube preamp, Marantz SACD player, 3 VPI turntables, DeVore speakers, Kismet Reference speakers, Von Schweikert speakers Paragiadm speakers, the list is endless. I came full circle to embrace McIntosh. It isn’t just the sound, it’s the pride of ownership, the silky feeling of the rotary controls, the smooth acting switches and the bulletproof reliability.

Don’t listen to the naysayers, most who hate Mac either never heard them or listened for a few minutes with the intention of not liking them. The auto transformers are there for a reason, it is what gives the McIntosh that magical house sound. I bought all my McIntosh equipment from Audio Classics and all second hand.  Everything looks and plays like brand new. Let your own ears be your guide.
Mc fans are diehard.  I'd say go and audition them at dealers and compare them against comparatively priced competitors, and let your ears decide.  Don't base a decision on forum feedback.