You've tried other amps and ended with Pass, please discuss

So I'm genuinely curious about this, and I'd like your thoughts.

You: Are a current pass owner who has tried a number of other amps and stuck with Pass.

Please discuss your speakers, your pass and what other amps you feel your current set up bested.

I won't opine, but may ask questions to those who are not specific enough.
One thing I've heard a lot is the terms "refined." I don't know what this means, so if you can compare to other amps with more detail, would appreciate that.
Thanks!

Erik
erik_squires
I’d like to see Pass do a Class D amp.

That would be interesting.  Pass adds a distortion signature to his amps. I wonder if he would create a new Class D architecture which has this, or add a front end to a conventional Class D design.
^i believe Nelson Pass did make a Class D amp; I also seem to remember he wasn’t encouraged to do it again.
@erik_squires 

It is not simply pick a gain stage, follow that up with suitable output drivers, toss in some distortion mechanism, and poof you have a Pass amp.

It's my basic understanding that Nelson Pass designs his amplifiers not specifically to add distortion, per se, but rather to manage the inherent distortion characteristics from his specific design approach- simple topology, low global feedback, low output impedance, excellent slew rate, superb thermal stability, wide bandwidth, stability into all loads, high reliability, very high subjective performance, solid bench measurements, etc...it's all these trade offs, and more, that must be managed.

Nelson's specific recipe has led to many successes that have been proven over and over. 

Nelson's specific recipe has led to many successes that have been proven over and over.

Absolutely true, you can't argue with financial success in a heavily competitive market, plus I hear he's a great guy. I don't claim to understand everything he's doing, but it is a specific type of recipe and clientele he's after.  I also think based on his writing and observations, he's also got a type of speaker in mind when he designs.  That may have much to do with his intention.
unsound ^i believe Nelson Pass did make a Class D amp; I also seem to remember he wasn’t encouraged to do it again.

Judging by this, I think your right, from God himself. 

Nelson Pass Passlabs
"Does a $10 bottle of wine compete with a $100 bottle? Of course it does, and it often wins based on price. Right at the moment Class D designers seem to be still focusing on the objectively measured performance of their amplifiers. I expect that at some point the economics of the marketplace will encourage them to pay more attention to the subjective qualities, and then they will probably play a greater role in the high end."

Cheers George