RIP Art Dudley

128x128noromance

1954? Hmm, older than I thought. I WAS relieved that it wasn't the virus what got 'em. And I hadn't heard Clark Johnsen has also just died. Clark cornered me at one CES in Vegas, insisting I discuss with him his pet topic: absolute polarity. I was trying to tear myself away from him, as Ken Kessler was nearby, and I wanted to try talking Ken into selling me one of his Garrott Deccas. I finally got away, but to no avail: Kessler wasn't interested in parting with one. Glutton!

I don't expect another hi-fi writer as good as Art to show up in what remains of my time here. At least his record collection is in good hands, those of his wife and daughter, for whom my heart hurts. We'll miss Art, but not like they.

The other day, I received the latest edition of Stereophile. I looked to see which reviewers are still left there reviewing equipment. My next stop was to turn to page 37 and read "Listening," Art Dudley's column. The next day, I read that he had passed away. Crazy! I have enjoyed reading his words for years. I'll miss him.
Gulp.  Pause.  What? OMG, WHAT????

Yeah, this is a shock. He was a writer that really created a bond with the reader. And I think that probably many of us who miss him already and are so saddened to hear of his passing, feel like, even though we never met him we know him as a person. I loved his writing, I loved The Listener magazine, I looked forward to reading him every time I saw his byline. He will truly be missed. I'm going to say some prayers for the Departed for him.
One of my favorite audio writers. RIP. I do read a quite few audio magazines every month but know the names of very few audio writers (maybe 3 or 4). His was one.