Moving up from a Node 2i

I want to keep it between 1K and 1500.00, closer to a grand if at all possible. I don't care about onboard DACs, since I have a keen liking for mine. What is out there for a streamer, new or used, that will sound better than the Node when outputting to an external DAC? I like the functionality of the Node, don't want something with a sketchy user interface. But honestly, I think my old Allo Digione (Raspberry Pi) might have sounded a little more organic and fleshed out than the Node.

What say ye, Audiogon?

Oz

128x128ozzy62
@larry5729 Sounds as though you simply prefer the sound of the built-in node 2i DAC. Looking at the price of the Project S2 DAC I wouldn't suspect it's a very impressive bit of kit. Step up to something like the NAD M51 DAC I use for digital to analog conversion and you will definitely hear a significant difference in sound quality. If I were you I'd return the S2 and get a refund. Simple as that.
I think CA just added Roon support to the CNX V2 , $1,100.   I just fired up a trial of Roon and now I to am a believer. Found my Bryston pi lick split. And wow what a slick interface. Currently running the core on my Mac mini. Next upgrade is to get a core appliance.
In doing so you lose 9/10 of the MQA unfold.

Actually you lose 2/3rds.  A full MQA decode unfolds (3) times.  The Node2 does the first unfold via it's digital outputs.

I have been told that the first unfold is the most critical, however I haven't been able to verify it.

In my setup, the Node2 out to my DAC, (via coax) doing the first unfold, (on MQA material) sounds better than the full MQA decode via the Node2's internal DAC.  My standalone DAC is not an MQA DAC.
jeenan90,

I would agree with you.  The ProJect is a cheap DAC.  However, when you connect a DAC to the Bluesound Node 2i, it breaks up the complete unfold of MQA.  I don't know why MQA sounds better.  For some reason I sense a larger sound stage and clarity.  I must be crazy because no one this group likes MQA.  The only thing I dislike about the Bluesound is that it does not display the resolution like a DAC does.  It would be nice to know if you are listening to 24/96 or 24/192.  So far I prefer Tidal.  Tried Amazon Prime Hi Res and I liked the way Tidal interfaces better with Bluesound.  I hope Bluesound will come out with a unit that can handle both audio and video.  This would be really nice when viewing concerts.
melvinjames,

I stream Tidal on my Bluesound Node 2i and I have never seen my screen laid out like this.  I will need to find out how to use all it offers.  Still hope they come out with a new Bluesound that can hi res video/audio to look at concerts such as Brit Floyd.