Moving up from a Node 2i

I want to keep it between 1K and 1500.00, closer to a grand if at all possible. I don't care about onboard DACs, since I have a keen liking for mine. What is out there for a streamer, new or used, that will sound better than the Node when outputting to an external DAC? I like the functionality of the Node, don't want something with a sketchy user interface. But honestly, I think my old Allo Digione (Raspberry Pi) might have sounded a little more organic and fleshed out than the Node.

What say ye, Audiogon?

Oz

128x128ozzy62

Showing 4 responses by larry5729

I ended up buying a Bluesound Node 2i and the dealer talked me into buying a ProJect S2 DAC and connecting it with an Audioquest Carbon coax cable.  In doing so you lose 9/10 of the MQA unfold.  So I unhooked the DAC and played MQA recordings by streaming TIDAL and I liked the sound of the Bluesound played by itself.  For some reason, I heard a difference playing MQA recordings.  However, most in this group do not believe in MQA.  However, I still thought MQA had a larger size sound stage.  When I hooked up the ProJect DAC the bass sounded thinner even though I have a pair REL S2 SHO subwoofers which I play at 40%.  I wonder if the more expensive DAC's make a difference.  However, if you add a DAC I lose MQA complete unfold.  I wonder why most in the group dislike MQA.  I wonder if they resent the guy who invented a proprietary technology to unfold the data.  I must be crazy because I really feel MQA sounds better.
jeenan90,

I would agree with you.  The ProJect is a cheap DAC.  However, when you connect a DAC to the Bluesound Node 2i, it breaks up the complete unfold of MQA.  I don't know why MQA sounds better.  For some reason I sense a larger sound stage and clarity.  I must be crazy because no one this group likes MQA.  The only thing I dislike about the Bluesound is that it does not display the resolution like a DAC does.  It would be nice to know if you are listening to 24/96 or 24/192.  So far I prefer Tidal.  Tried Amazon Prime Hi Res and I liked the way Tidal interfaces better with Bluesound.  I hope Bluesound will come out with a unit that can handle both audio and video.  This would be really nice when viewing concerts.
melvinjames,

I stream Tidal on my Bluesound Node 2i and I have never seen my screen laid out like this.  I will need to find out how to use all it offers.  Still hope they come out with a new Bluesound that can hi res video/audio to look at concerts such as Brit Floyd.

Look at a BelCanto.  Take a look at a better DAC.  It is all about the DAC.