What is the appeal of the Denon 103 cartridges?

I know they have been around years. However, I see many music -gear reviewers with super expensive turntables running the Denon 103/103r. I'm thinking of trying one myself, possibly one of the ZU adaptations. 
aberyclark
Variables and their values. Everybody seems to understand what
''best cart'' means. But is that a fact?  As I mentioned in my previous
post ''better than relation'' imply  comparison, say: x versus y''.
If the value for x is Denon 103 what is the value of y ? ( 3 +y= ?).
This may mean ''some other'' or ''all other''. ''All other'' nobody can
claim while with '''some other''  we can see by mjw 25 7 names 
as values for ''some''. So he is the only one ''logical correct'' 
user of the language of variables. To put this differently the
expressions ''all'' , ''some'' , etc . are not names with referring
function otherwise ''x + 3'' would name some number. 
Variables only mark the place where an name must be put to
make the whole expression understandable. 

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/about-cleaning-and-life-expectancy-of-styli.685444/
Denon square cut spherical is different to conical. DL103R paper spec that come with cartridge describe as 0.2mm square solid diamond.  Specs for conical styli are around 0.4 to 0.6. And the specs for a common elliptical cartridge are 0.3 x 0.7.  The Denon diamond cut is their own. This contributes to cartridge good sound on 103 and 103R.  This is not conical diamond they use. 
If you want to look at the proper diamonds then check this.
This is what the most important.

If you think the Denon is a bit closer to Elliptical (while everywhere in documentation it is still described as Conical, not Elliptical) then i want to remind that Elliptical profile is also nothing special and can’t compete with accuracy and life span of the Shibata, LineContact, MicroLine, Micro Ridge, Stereohedron, Replicant-100, Gyger and VdH.

Compared to all of them an Elliptical tip is just an entry level (Conical is the worst).

Denon 103 was invented in 1968, before some of the best profiles appeared on the market.

At that time all carts were Conical/Spherical, not even Elliptical as far as i know.

Quadraphonic records and Shibata profile changed everything, but it was in the 70’s, not in the 60’s.

A high compliance MM cartridges changed everything in the industry in the 70’s.

And you will never find any audiophile cartridge even with elliptical profile today. All the best carts comes with best profiles, not with the worst profiles.

Your Denon 103 today is just like the Denon from 1968, same stylus profile. This is oldschool cartridge.

But Denon designed much better cartridges with different styli, those carts are better than DL-103, but you can only buy them used or NOS, so people prefer not to talk about it, ignoring the fact that Denon made much better cartridges than earlier DL-103 which is probably the best seller. Remember DL-S1 or DL1000 ? 

But again, some people still listening to 78rpm on gramophones and enjoying it too.

Chakster  DHT tubes  go back to at least the 30's  transformers even further.  I am guessing  you are not a musician  who has played in bands and orchestra's.  My objective  is easy, I like the sound of real live music.  Black backgrounds, air around instruments,  super tight bass, sound stage, etc...  are audio file terms.  Attack, decay,  pitch, tone, vibrato, body are  musician terms.  Go to a live performance  which is not using amplification and close your eyes and listen to a bass play even electric bass.  How tight is it? Then listen to a drummer  does the cymbal  sound like wood/plastic hitting a piece of brass or some tilted up sound which hi fi people  seem to like.  Maybe a simple test is to sit near a grand piano and does it sound WARM  and inviting  or NEUTRAL  and detailed?

In regards to your total discuss  for denon 103's my question is how many arms did you try.  How many step up trans and loads did you try??? How many phono pre  amps???  Etc...

I bet my 16 inch silicone damped Brazillian  rosewood arm with my 103 / 103r/ 103 wood / alum body etc...  On a 50 pound platter with a 3 phase 50 watt motor / controller,  does not sound like a 78 on a gramophone. 

Enjoy the ride
Tom