What is the appeal of the Denon 103 cartridges?

I know they have been around years. However, I see many music -gear reviewers with super expensive turntables running the Denon 103/103r. I'm thinking of trying one myself, possibly one of the ZU adaptations. 
aberyclark
Tubehead, you may have misspoke by accident. The formula relates the reflected impedance as inversely proportionate to the square of the turns ratio. (For a 47K resistor load, a 1:10 SUT will reflect 470 ohms to the cartridge, as you correctly stated. That’s 47K divided by 100.) There’s no need to worry about square roots. It’s been many years since I listened to a DL 103, but I don’t know why such a set up wouldn’t work just fine without any further messing around with the load resistance. Also, I have always wondered, and still cannot understand, why the goal for the load resistance should be any different when you are using an SUT, compared to when you are using a high gain phono stage. Perhaps someone else can enlighten me.
If

# of turns primary - Np
# of turns secondary - Ns
primary impedance - Zp
secondary impedance  - Zs

then

Np/Ns = square root of (Zp/Zs)

Zp = (Np/Ns) squared x Zs

Just Google "transformer impedance ratio" for the above formula.

for a 1x10 transformer, Zp/Zs = 0.1 so Zp = (.01)Zs

As you can see it is simple for 1x10.  You will want to use a scientific calculator app for any other values... it's still not THAT hard.

A coil (the MC) reacts differently to transformer loading.  For an RC  coupled amp we want the the input Z to be 10x (or more) the Z of the incoming signal to avoid distortion and losses due to the RC load that the amp input represents.  To put it very simply, if you matched the impedances you would drop (lose) half of the signal in the outputZ of the source.  Transformer action is not amplification, it is energy transfer and works differently.  A transformer would tranfer max power with a perfect Z match but this would lower the transformer's bandwidth (among other things).

Try it!
Variables and their values. Everybody seems to understand what
''best cart'' means. But is that a fact?  As I mentioned in my previous
post ''better than relation'' imply  comparison, say: x versus y''.
If the value for x is Denon 103 what is the value of y ? ( 3 +y= ?).
This may mean ''some other'' or ''all other''. ''All other'' nobody can
claim while with '''some other''  we can see by mjw 25 7 names 
as values for ''some''. So he is the only one ''logical correct'' 
user of the language of variables. To put this differently the
expressions ''all'' , ''some'' , etc . are not names with referring
function otherwise ''x + 3'' would name some number. 
Variables only mark the place where an name must be put to
make the whole expression understandable. 

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/about-cleaning-and-life-expectancy-of-styli.685444/
Denon square cut spherical is different to conical. DL103R paper spec that come with cartridge describe as 0.2mm square solid diamond.  Specs for conical styli are around 0.4 to 0.6. And the specs for a common elliptical cartridge are 0.3 x 0.7.  The Denon diamond cut is their own. This contributes to cartridge good sound on 103 and 103R.  This is not conical diamond they use.