Focal Aria 948, Revel F208, Tekton Double Impact

Hey everyone, this is a long post, so thanks in advance to those who bear with me.

Home theater/stereo is a new experiment for me.  I was recently persuaded by some surprisingly positive experiences with soundbars to look for better, louder, options with more definition and overall sonic appeal. 

I am trying to decide on a set of floorstanding speakers for probably 70% HT use and 30% music.  This is my second attempt at finding a set of speakers in the last 6 months.  I started with a pair of Klipsch RP-8000f which I initially liked.  I found myself not wanting to listen to them for very long at what seemed like normal volumes - after maybe an hour listening fatigue would set in and my ears would feel a bit assaulted.  It is possible that they were not fully broken in, if those speakers require breaking in (I have heard that they may).  It is also possible that my room shredded the sound to crap since one speaker had to be right next to a large window, but this is not something I can avoid.  I began to wonder what better options might be available within a moderately expanded budget.

So, after reading forum after forum, review after review, I think I have narrowed the options to the Focal Aria 948, the Revel F208, and the Tekton Double Impact.  I want to start with a 2.0 system and hopefully (with eventual, begrudging approval from my wife) get at least a 3.1 system going.  So I'm really interested in floorstanders so that I can put money towards very good as-full-range-as-possible sound from the front L and R initially.  I am interested in at least a 3-way design so that I can get a dedicated midrange driver, as well, and large woofers for SPL and (hopefully) clear and substantial bass.

The problem is, I have no way of auditioning these speakers before buying and my room is so far from ideal that I am sure most of you will laugh and tell me to just use the speakers in the TV, haha.  The room is about 16' x 22' with a vaulted ceiling which rises from one long wall to the other long wall up to the ceiling of the 2nd floor of the house.  I have to stick these speakers near a corner and I have no way around that (the room simply cannot be rearranged or it will cease to be functional as a living room).  The "corner" speaker will be about 2.5-3.0' from the long wall and only inches from the short wall (immediately adjacent a large window).  The other speaker will be about 12-18" from the long wall and nowhere near a short wall.

I have heard that the Focal Aria 948 is fussy regarding placement and maybe demanding for amplification because of an impedance dip.  I've heard opinions which say these are easy to drive, as well.  I have also heard from a Focal dealer (when I was asking about a used Electra 1028 Be II) that the Arias are not the best sound for the buck.  He suggested Martin Logan Motion 60XTi, but I hear mixed reviews on the 60XTs (not many reviews on the XTi's yet).  But the Aria 948's have 8.25" woofers, which honestly excite me, and I expect they would be able to produce beautiful sound at substantial volumes.

The Revel F208 has boundary correction hardware on the speaker itself, which seems very useful if it actually works given my placement constraints.  I have also read that these are very neutral, which sounds appealing to me, but some find them "boring".

The Tekton speakers have had me intrigued since I first started looking for speakers months ago.  I first saw the Seas Pendragons but I ended up obsessing over the idea of the Double Impacts with the large mid-range array and the huge woofers.  They are reported as easy to drive and with a very "real" sound, but they feel like the riskiest choice among the three.  In spite of the rave reviews for the Double Impacts that I find almost everywhere I look, I can't help but wonder how their sound might compare to the Focals and the Revels, which are more traditional designs that, whether you like them or not, few can say are "bad" speakers (objectively speaking). 

Has anyone heard the Double Impacts, Focals and/or Revels?  Do the Double Impacts sound "nasally" with vocals or dialogue (as one forum member elsewhere commented... though I don't know if it was this forum or another)?

Will any of these speakers be more forgiving of the obviously less-than-ideal placement they will be forced to contend with?

And lastly, I bought a Cambridge Audio Azur 851W for less than half price on Audiogon.  It seems like it should be able to drive a 4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker with ease, though I have read it can get very hot.  Does anyone have any experience with this amplifier and can you comment on how it might sound driving any of the Focal, Revel, or Tekton options?  

graitscott
For whatever it is worth and it may be different in your room, but I tried Revel’s "controls" extensively and did not find any drastic difference. In the end, I suspected that perceived difference might have been because I knew I was changing it. At the same time, and your room is and ears may be significantly different than mine, it turns out that bass is not boomy at all despite being placed very close to the wall/s. If anything, it is on leaner side. Just my observation. For reminder of the sound, I cannot really describe it but have no complaints. "Neutral" would probably be the most accurate description. Not boring, but somehow clean.
Tekton DI are astoundingly good sounding speakers, I've listened to them for hours with all kinds of music at all kinds of different volume levels and never experienced fatigue or felt the need to turn them down. Also very smooth and natural and lower sound level. Details, depth, bass they have it all
Had the f208 amazing speaker now I have the focal aria 948 right now  I like them the best in my setup 
I debated between the Revel F208 and the Tekton Double Impact for some time. I bought a used pair of F208's and I have no regrets.  I never auditioned the Tektons but what made my decision is the difference in resources and speaker releases between the two companies.  Revel has unlimited R&D money and only puts out new speaker designs after they have been thoroughly tested.  Tekton has one person designing new speakers (per my limited knowledge)  and has more models than I can count.  It seems less about R&D and more about releasing any idea that comes to mind.  I'm not saying Tekton doesn't make a good product (I've never heard them) but I am skeptical of a small company that has more options than competitors many times it's size. Ultimately I put my money with Revel and their science based (heavily funded)  approach to speaker design... I have yet to be disappointed. 
Since you will use this system for HT you should consider the Double Impact with Center channel package. You end up saving over $400 on the center channel if you order with the DI’s. Just a thought. I have the Moab’s and love them. My good friend has the DIs and loves them.