Finally Settled on a Preamp—Don Sachs Model 2 Custom Linestage

I took delivery a couple months ago of Don Sachs’s Model 2 6SN7 custom line stage preamp. It’s his latest iteration with an OLED display and 64 step Khozmo attenuator with input relay switching. There are no channel level attenuators. I had Don put in WE6SN7 tubes, and a pair of Mindoro 2.2 uF silver oil capacitors on the second output for flexibility with a possible SS amp in the future. The pre is simply marvelous. I have tried quite a number of preamps in the last few years. Some of you might remember my original post on the topic: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/tube-preamp-recommendations-3?page=2. Don’s pre beats everything I’ve tried. I’m not an audiophile reviewer by any means, but to my ear, it has an enormous soundstage, and is extremely detailed, extended, and dynamic. Sometimes I leave my living room and it just sounds like there are musicians playing in the other room. The level of detail at times can almost be startling. 

I paired it with Don’s Kootenay 120 KT88 power amplifier, which I purchased from another Audiogon member. The amp now has Don’s latest caps and WEKT88 tubes. Both pieces have a synergy that creates a very musical sound that I can listen to for hours without fatigue with my ProAc Response Two S speakers.

Some praise for the man is in order. Don is very responsive and has gone out of his way to help me with related and completely unrelated projects to get my system sounding the best it ever has. He’s a nice, genuine guy to boot.

I’d upload some photographs of my system and Don’s pre and amp, but it appears that I can’t do that on a forum post; someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Cheers,

Rob

robert1234
It’s a truly remarkable pre. Luckily my neighbor has one 😊
correct, you can’t post a snap. 
You can start a system page and post pictures there.It does sound like a wonderful system.Congrats!
I also bought Don's preamp few months ago and love it.  This is definitely a keeper.  Mine was probably one of the last ones without the OLED display and with the L/R balance knobs.  I will inquire if it can be updated to the latest version.  I am using the preamp with the Pass 250.8 amp and Tekton Encore speakers.  The sound is just wonderful.  I also ordered Don's Kooteney 120 amp about four months ago and it is finally arriving next week.  Can't wait to compare it to my Pass.  I'm hoping that the synergy between both pieces of Don's equipment will sound even better than what I have right now.
I sold my DS2 last year, and kept the deHavilland. The person who bought it says they are very happy. YMMV. 

~Tom
@robert1234 It would be nice if you could list the other preamps you've tried here in this thread for ease of reference... most readers will be curious.  Thanks and glad you're loving the pre.  I love mine too.