Advice on whether speaker upgrade is in order

Hi,

Looking for speaker advice.  I’m not super knowledgeable about gear nor do I have time/access to demo a lot of stuff.  I am still with my first pair of good speakers (B&W803Matrix2).  The signal first goes through a Velodyne DD10 subwoofer (using the sub's crossover to keep the lower registers).  I have a heavily Bryston system, and am probably not going to change that anytime soon:  All front end sources go in digital format to Bryston DAC 2, which runs to Bryston BP25 preamp, then to 7B squared monos.  System sounds pretty good, though I wonder if speakers are limiting factor, and I would like the simplicity of not having a sub.  I also can see what people mean about Bryston gear sounding a little tinny or bright at times.

If I were to evolve the system, would speakers be high on the list, and recommendations given this hardware? (I have read ATC, PMC, and Dynaudio are well matched to Bryston, but I don't know if materially better, and I can't keep up with the new entrants, Tekton, etc.)  Other thoughts on system evolution (or should I shut up and focus on music!).

Thanks

Matt

mathiasmingus
Thanks everyone, I just did a little reading and learned about bass cancellation!  I have a little work to do on speaker placement and wall treatments before making any gear changes.  Thanks!
Why don't you listen to what the latest 803 sounds like. You're used to the B&W sound so anything else will probably sound off to you, although it wouldn't hurt to get out and listen to whats new from a few different companies.
First, look at GIK Acoustics. :) They have great looking things including art panels.  The soffit traps are also wonderful and can be stood up in corners.

I would suggest that you switch to a DSP controlled crossover with built in room EQ. Even without room treatment it can be a game changer.
I have no experience of the gear you have.
But I do have ATC SCM19v2 speakers, and they have changed my enjoyment hugely. So much more information, depth, and base (even though they are bookshelf speakers). 

I also can see what people mean about Bryston gear sounding a little tinny or bright at times.

If I were to evolve the system, would speakers be high on the list, and recommendations given this hardware?

So the one thing you know for sure is the Bryston amps sound tinny and bright, but the one thing you want to try is new speakers? Just want to make sure I understand the question.

The One Rule that has served me well over 50 years is always work on upgrading the weakest link. Your One Job is to find the weakest link. Could be anything from power cords to speaker cables to the cones under the components to the lowly fuses inside them. Yes even the room is fair game. Anything and everything.

Now out of all those things you could be looking to upgrade, there is one and only one component you take the time to tell us you know is flawed, and another one you take the time to tell us you don't think is flawed. So which one is it again you think you should be upgrading?

While you're mulling that one over, here's a freebie you can try that will probably help a lot.

Swap connections to run the B&W direct and full range. Do not use the sub crossover, except to adjust the sub. Right now you have your mains being driven by a signal you're sending through two extra God knows what interconnects, the assuredly crap crossover network in the subs, and then back to drive your speakers. Every one of those steps involves wires and circuits each one of which is adding a veil of grain and glare, which is also the problem with the Brystons. So you've unwittingly made a bad situation worse. 

Running the B&W full range will also improve bass response, probably by quite a bit, because the more bass drivers the better. 

But hey, don't take my word for it. Try it and see. Go and listen.