Pass Labs and Fuses

I continue to enjoy my Pass Labs Int-60 amplifier with my horn based system. My listening area has been intensively treated for acoustic - speaker interaction and it is always a joy for me to listen to a Dialed In system.

For my latest listening experiment I decided to evaluate the sonic differences using three fuses in the Pass amplifier. A brand new Bussman fuse, a Synergistic Research Blue fuse and a Synergistic Research Orange fuse. I keep this amp on 24/7 as suggested by the manufacturer. The Blue fuse has over a 1000 hours on it and the Orange had a 160 hours (continuous playing time) on it before any listening evaluations. The Bussman was listened to for the first time immediately out of the box.

The Bussman fuse did a fine job. But going from the Blue fuse which I had been using to the Bussman, there was a definite change. With the Bussman the sound was now more two dimensional. Instruments were not as full bodied. The depth of the soundstage was compressed front to back. I was more aware that I was listening to a recording versus being in the room with the musicians. The music was less emotionally involving. I did for completeness sake reverse the direction of the new Bussman fuse several times. It did consistently sound better installed in one direction, not huge but it is there.

Comparing the Synergistic Blue Fuse to Orange Fuse was similar to my past tube rolling experiences with my 300B tubed amplifier (but cheaper to carry out). Different tubes change the sound and these different fuses change the sound. Both of these fuses brought out more of the music that the Pass Labs amp was playing when compared to the Bussman fuse. Before any serious listening was undertaken, the fuses were evaluated for best sounding direction - and they both were directional.

The Orange fuse really is exceptional in it’s ability to let me enjoy the music and who is playing what. The detail of Willie Nelson’s nylon strings on his guitar had much better dynamics and richer texture than I have previously heard using the Blue fuse. His Stardust album continues to impress me.

When listening to music that has more musicians playing, such as on Sierra Una Noche, I can more easily distinguish each instrument and it’s contribution to the musical whole. Also in this live recording that uses only two mics, I get a better feel of each musician’s distance from the microphones and that they move toward and away from the microphones while playing. These factors allow me to forget I am listening to a recording of an event. With the Orange fuse, I feel I am at the event as it is playing.

This fuse experiment was fun to do and educational.
Feel free to call.

David Pritchard
575-644-1462

128x128davidpritchard
Tubes and capacitors are not fuses, not even close, and tube swapping (I don't change capacitors unless some malfunction has occurred, or, as in the case of a 60 year old tube guitar amp, they leak) results in interesting and obvious tonal changes. Fuses do not, and claims that "improper" fuse direction will make a component sound out of phase or otherwise compromised is silly and not an actual thing regardless of how many amps one has owned or how carefully somebody keeps track of this silliness, or how much carefully worded hyperbole is generated to shill for SR.
"How is it that one way it sounds better than the other-way??...."

georgehifi,

I agree with you that fuse direction loses all meaning in an alternating current (AC) application.
or how much carefully worded hyperbole is generated to shill for SR.
+1 Wolf, he’s taken over from oregonpapa, who was slapped on the wrist for doing it.

I agree with you that fuse direction loses all meaning in an alternating current (AC) application.
Yes this **** about fuses is just snake oil voodoo speak and it’s dangerouse for the gullible non-technical to be playing around with, and needs it’s own place, maybe here at geoff’s website. 
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
Where he and david can get sued if someone gets zapped, in there feverish attempts to hear differences when fuses are turned around, forgetting to turn/unplug from the mains.

Cheers George

Hi all, I almost never post but after many years of reading how some people say fuses don't make a difference or are not "directional" here are the facts they Do measure differently in either direction! also to those who don't believe they impact the sound of a piece of equipment read the measurements again they all measure differently...
I have tried fuses from 5  manufactures over the last 10 years and they all sound different and are directional.
Kind of amusing that people who have never tried fuses bash the concept like their life depends on it I just don't get it, and probably never will...
Please feel free to pass this link on to the other threads for the nonbelievers, the numbers and my ears don't lie.
Enjoy
Http://www.hifi-tuning.com/pdf/wlfr.eng.pdf
To some people it is more important to think they are right than to experience and learn something.  Know it alls don’t accept things they may not understand.